Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get pepperoni that cups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get pepperoni that cups?

I can't seem to find any locally so I'm wondering where I can order pepperoni that cups when cooked?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza-guys-introduces-new-twist-pepperoni-pizza.jpg?itok=939jrFsi.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	936625

Ahh yes, those little bowls of oil.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      And those crispy edges.

If Boar's Head is sold in your area, give it a try. It cups for me. I buy it whole and slice it myself.

Comment

That's funny! I happened to make a pepperoni pizza last night for the first time in a long while, and the pepperoni 'cupped' (all of them upwards.) Little cups of oil it was. I used a bag of 'Gallo Salame' sliced pepperoni from my supermarket, which was flat. Cooked for 12 minutes @ 475deg on the top shelf of a common oven. If this is special to only some brands of pepperoni, maybe it's the type of casing material. Reminded me of cooking burgers on a grill -- when they seem to cup away from the heat, I know they should have been flipped.
    Last edited by SmokingPat; November 9, 2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Amazing.

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Typical KLA excellence, but he outdid himself with this sentence; "And there are few greater sources of excitement than when two separate spheres of nerd-dom collide in a synergistic orgy of geekitude."

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        That might be my fave kenji article ive read so far. Just fantastically fun.

Thanks for posting! I lived in Pittsburgh for 2 years and all of the local pizza joints had these on their pies. I've been keeping an eye out for some I could buy ever since.

Comment

I get the Boars Head pepperoni sold in the stick and slice it myself. Always get good 'roni cups as long as I slice it thick enough. it is usually near the deli counter or by the cheese in pretty much every supermarket near me. There is usually a section where they have the salumis and maybe some hard cheeses together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	X85PD.jpg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.0 KB ID:	936724
        Last edited by shify; November 9, 2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, thats my go to. Love all BH products. Fortunate local super market carries it.

Our local Food Lion and Harris Teeter stores carry them. WalMart as well.
        https://hormel.com/Brands/Pepperoni/...p-N-Crisp-Bold
        Last edited by Hulagn1971; November 9, 2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Perhaps you can make your own using a concaved die and a balling hammer.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Uh, I may pursue other options

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the spirit !!!

What is the world coming too? Why did I get a funny feeling in my gut when I read this:

crisp pepperoni

edge curled from heat

a chalice of sweet, hot oil

Mr. Sin
          Was that just longing for a pepperoni pizza, or something else that this site has made me into???

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea this is getting way too phallic for me

Most places here in central Ohio refer to cupping pepperoni as "Old Fashioned" or "Old School" pepperoni.

Our Favorite pizza is a local place called Penso’s Pizza. They have been making great food since 1936. They accept cash only and they do not deliver. Waits to pick up can get as long as 1.5 hours on Friday and Saturday nights if you don’t order early enough.

They use the cupping pepperoni but they also make their pizza differently than most. After the dough is formed they place slices of provolone cheese right on the raw dough. Next the sauce is added, then the topping are added right on top of the sauce. Next everything is coated with shredded mozzarella cheese and then baked until golden brown.

The pepperoni curls trapping the grease and mozzarella cheese in them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1A731204-7609-412C-996E-AF6D83B2A711.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	989.6 KB ID:	936791
          Last edited by ssandy_561; November 9, 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            PBR and pizza, paired in heaven.

Vermont Smoke and Cure: https://store.vermontsmokeandcure.co...oked-pepperoni Out of stock right now unfortunately but it is exactly what you want.

Kenji did a good write up of how pepperoni curls a few years back: https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/1...roni-curl.html

That is pretty much the only pepperoni I use now. So delicious and it cups beautifully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizzacups.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	936827

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I'll check back and look periodically if I can't find anything local.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, awesome pie !!! Love the Detroit-style crunchy edge.

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman Thanks, that was a great one. Just ordered 10 pounds of Wisconsin Brick Cheese so I can add these back to the semi-regular menu. My kids love these pizzas.

Am I the only one not preferring the cupping? Interesting topic though for sure. Side note- my wife fries up skillets full of pepperoni and sends them with me to work as a snack. They are SO delicious after being fried, and go great with string cheese sticks.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            My Roundtable sells what they call a "Primo" with cupped and regular without. Sometimes they sell an ultimate with both. If I want a pepperoni I go with regular. If I want the special, I appreciate the two types. I think they overcook the cupped.

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            I make pepperoni chips for my daughter. Originally did it to add to deviled eggs and she ate all the "chips" and demanded another batch just to snack on

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Roundtable was the only chain pizza I thought much of. We had pizza this weekend on the first night from a local place nearby. They were making what seemed like a Roundtable knockoff and I thought it was great.

Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Kind of reminds me of an old school stripper

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here