Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing homemade pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing homemade pizza

So, one reason I don't make a lot of pizza at home (Ok, none) is that I only eat pizza once a week or less so keeping the ingredients around isn't too feasible. Combined with having a good pizzeria near me... I just get slices or small pies when I want 'za. However, I'm thinking that it might be possible to make several pizzas at once, then freeze them. Anyone do this?

Details -

1) these would be done in a regular oven so NY style dough.
    2) I'd freeze them on rounds, then vac seal them.
    3) I'm looking at smaller, 9-12" pies.
    Last edited by rickgregory; October 18, 2020, 04:22 PM.

I freeze Pizza Dough all the time. When I make a batch I just divide it into the size we want and freeze the dough balls. It works great IMO.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Right but what about making the entire pie ahead? So form the dough, add sauce, cheese toppings... then freeze?

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not done that yet but I bet it works well and with better results than store bought frozen pizza.

I wouldn’t make the pizza and then freeze. But all components of a "plain" NY style pizza with low moisture mozzarella freeze well. You can freeze the cheese, sauce and dough in single pie increments.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm... interesting idea. But... why not freeze the premade pie?

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory - I think you’ll never get the texture to be right when defrosting/reheating. It’s hard enough to reheat a pizza well from the fridge that tastes close to it did originally, so I can’t imagine adding a deep freeze would be even that good. The way I figure it, not even multi billion dollar companies have figured out how to make a decent frozen pizza.

I'd try making a batch of dough, portion all but two dough balls. Cook and eat one that night and make and freeze one. At the worst, you might be disappointed in one pizza. If you like the results, you can make and freeze pizzas in the future.

BTW - I have had decent results thawing frozen slices and reheating them on a preheated baking steel. A large CI pan or a griddle could also work. So you might want to cook one and freeze it to compare to the uncooked frozen pie.

Comment

I freeze dough and also sauce in one pie bags. I wouldn't freeze the cheese though. For me, pizza is a quick and easy meal. Take dough and sauce out of the freezer in the morning and then build the pizza and cook it just before I want to eat.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah it's not the dough and sauce that's hard. it's the toppings. If I want, say, a sausage or other cured meat, I need to have it on hand. Same for mozzarella say. Or peppers.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I typically have cured meats such as pepperoni and salami in the fridge already. Peppers too typically although I don't use them on pizza. It's the fresh mozzarella that might require a trip to the store. Seems like you could have frozen sausage on hand pretty easily. Again, I don't put that on my pizzas though.

Make two identical pies.
      Freeze one, Icebox th other one.
      Wait a day, or a few, then cook em both simultaneously, see whatcha think.
      I'd reckon it'd be jus fine.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        It would be an interesting experiment. I would just stretch the dough and add sauce before freezing. The dough stretching is the most involved and time consuming part. Everything else I would throw on there just before it hit the oven.

OK, I'm going to make some dough and get stuff ready for science experiment next weekend. Regardless of what happens, I'm eating the evidence. ,

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Them are truly th best experiments lol!

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't frozen a whole pie, but I do know that the "big guys" use flash freezing equipment that can't be duplicated with a home freezer, so that might be a factor. I freeze dough and it turns out pretty good, though I can detect some slight textural differences from fresh, never frozen. For you experiment I'd suggest a low hydration dough will likely work better. Also I have successfully vac packed toppings, including fresh mozz, refrigerated not frozen, to preserve quality.

I have seen this online before, haven't tried it myself. Probably about time I did though.

Frozen homemade pizzas are obviously far superior to frozen store bought pizzas, and not all that hard to make yourself. I'll show you how! Well we've reached it, the end of my pregnancy. We're hoping to welcome

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here