Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for a Very Thin Crust Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for a Very Thin Crust Pizza

We have pizza almost every Friday night. We've been making our own for about 2 years and have loved it.

I want to get my pizza crust very thin, sort of like a cracker, but I was hoping you could help?

We get the pizza stone pre-heated very hot (using a Kamado Joe) before we put the actual pizza on the stone. We can also make a thinner crust by forming/shaping the dough, but it's not as "crispy" as I want it.

Do I just need to change the pizza dough recipe? I've used Meathead's Neapolitan recipe, but I cannot get it crispy.

Any help? Thanks!

Breadhead

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL...My thoughts exactly

scottranda Here's a recipe that has no yeast. It's fast and easy. It's a flat bread pizza dough that restaurant's use because it's extremely fast and very easy. Work it with a rolling pin until it's as flat as you want it. Use a bench scraper to lift it off of your work surface and put it on parchment paper, so it's easy to slide onto your pizza stone. Bake it at 500/550 degrees and cook to color. When its golden brown it's done. Preheat your ceramic grill before you even start mixing this dough because it only takes about 20 minutes to mix and shape this dough.

This type of pizza dough is traditionally served as an appetizer in 12"x 4" strips, 4 on a serving tray. The toppings are the star of the dish.

If you try it take pictures...
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 20, 2015, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead Tonight, my wife and I tried your recipe for thin crust pizza... it was a huge success! We made more of a flatbread than traditional pizza, but what's the difference between a circle and a square?

THANK YOU! I will be posting pictures below (I cannot post pictures on a comment).

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      @scottranda

I'm glad you liked it. Flat bread pizza is ALL about the sauce and toppings.

The thing I liked about this dough recipe was that it still had some chew to it, some softness. Many flat bread recipes are more like crackers.

This recipe is now my go to pizza crust recipe... Because I can make it in 20 minutes.

However... If I want kick ass pizza dough, I ferment overnight.

Thank you! I will try on Friday!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a friend... A new Pit member known as Mbow. She asked me to make her a really thin crusted pizza that was real crisp. She took me to a restaurant to show me what she meant. The pizza was fantastic.

We went home to figure how they made that dough. The next day we made it for lunch. It turned out just like what we had at the restaurant.

It's fast and easy. I hope you like it.

I have a crust recipe with olive oil that is great for thin crust. Look at the picture
    Great grilled pizza begins with a great pizza dough such as this simple-to-follow recipe for no knead Roman-style pizza dough. It can be used for thin crust or thick crust, and even for focaccia. When followed precisely, the recipe's end result is a crispy, smoky grilled pizza similar to that from a brick oven.

Comment

This is my go to recipe for fast super thin crust. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2048.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	91490

Cracker Crust
      Ingredients:

In large mixing bowl combine
      2 cups all-purpose flour
      2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      2 teaspoons olive oil
      2 teaspoons molasses
      1/2 cup tbsps water
      2 tablespoons water

Directions:

Mix until thoroughly combined - Dough will be very stiff. makes enough for two (2) 12" pizza pies. The dough is ready to use "as-is" No need to rise or kneed. Divide the dough in half, shape into a round ball and roll out paper thin. Try to work the dough as little as possible to keep the finished crust tender.

Comment

WOW! to All!

Don't forget the sauce!

MH's grilled Marinara Sauce is also on the GrillGrate's site!

Start grilling better, juicier food today with GrillGrate: the ultimate accessory for any grill - gas, charcoal, kamado, pellet and more.

Try this... very easy ( obviously ). I use 1 TBS lemon juice / 1 TBS balsamic vinegar. I'm sure the red wine would be an awesome choice, too.

--Ed
        Last edited by Medusa; June 21, 2015, 01:42 PM. Reason: Added links to Sauces

Comment

Tonight, we made two different types of pizza/flatbread.

One was more traditional ingredients of pizza sauce, mozzarella, shredded chicken, and some herbs.

The other was a white pizza/flatbread. It had olive oil, mozzarella, honey goat cheese, caramelized onions, with some lettuce and drizzled with a balsamic reduction.

THANK YOU to the Forum! Especially Breadhead whose recipe we tried. We will try the other recipes for sure!

My wife is the bomb for making most of it. I just grilled it

Comment

Check out my post on the 10 inch tortilla shells.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here