Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max Time To Refrigerate or Freeze Proofed Pizza Dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fkrall
    commented on 's reply
    I just got around to clicking on this (glad you weren't telling me our house is on fire)--more good input from Kenji. My experience matches; I shoot for 5 days, 6 is too many, and I now might try 4. Thanks!

• Donw
    replied
    When I’m ready to freeze I form into balls and then place each one in a clear plastic pint container similar to what you would get when ordering soup from a Chinese restaurant. I let them sit out for a few minutes until they expand a little and fill up the gaps before putting the lid and placing in the freezer. The containers are easy to stack in the freezer.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    As mentioned already I follow the recipe for the frig proofing but I've then frozen in a ZipLock bag for a few months with success. That's probably too long but it worked fine.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    The best way to get a round dough when stretched is to start with a round ball. If you have a large piece of dough and cut off a piece to stretch, it will be difficult to make it round unless you cut off a round hunk. So you should cut the dough into the desired weight before refrigerating and roll into balls. Then store in round containers so that it keeps it's shape. I learned this the hard way...

Leave a comment:

• fkrall
    replied
    Bingo! Thanks very much.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    This is an interesting look at what happens the longer you let it ferment in the fridge: https://slice.seriouseats.com/2010/0...d-ferment.html

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Fuess
    replied
    I go by Ken Forkish's "The Elements of Pizza" The refrigeration time depends on the particular recipe but his are typically 24 - 48 hours.
    For freezing I don't know what the limit is but I have kept dough balls (personal pizza size) in the freezer for several months. I just freeze them individually, then place in a freezer Zip Lock bag. When I want to use, I place however many I want in the refrigerator the day before. On cook day I remove the ball from refrigerator 1-1/2 hours before I am ready to cook.

Leave a comment:

• Parkin
    replied
    For me about 2 days seems to be the line...after that the dough is too proofed to rise very much. I'm usually making some kind of dough every couple of days at least... so it never reaches the freezer. Forkish has a Saturday White Loaf that I half, bake a loaf, and split the other half into 2 pizza's or focaccias. When I worked in the industry, the best crusts spent a day or 2 in the walk-in.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Refrigerate? 5-7 days from when you make it (and it generally improves in flavor). Freeze? In a 0F freezer, pretty much indefinitely.

Leave a comment:

• fkrall
    started a topic Max Time To Refrigerate or Freeze Proofed Pizza Dough

Max Time To Refrigerate or Freeze Proofed Pizza Dough

Web input differs on the max time one should refrigerate or freeze pizza dough. But all the real experts are here. I'd appreciate your advice, including how to package the dough for refrigerating or freezing. My go-to is a 62% dough (Stella Culinary's NY Style) if that's a consideration.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here