Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza dough success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza dough success!

Thanks everyone for the input on my dough fail question. The other day.
    i went ahead and let the dough set out and since it spread out so nice i topped it with some spare low quality toppings i had.
    turned out very very good, so glad i didn't toss this dough. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200825_195722.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	901596
    Attached Files

You got some rise out of it, so the yeast did something. I think you went into the fridge too quick after mixing up the dough. If you're working out of a jar of yeast try mixing some warm water with a tsp of sugar and a tsp of yeast, you should see activity within 15 minutes. I've never had problems with dry yeast in a jar or the 500g commercial packs dying, and dry yeast is pretty hardy stuff; hard to kill unless you store it warm. If you're using the little packets, those I've had problems with.

Even if you're going to do a cold bulk ferment you should leave the dough at room temp (75 F) until you start to see some rise, that lets the yeast get going. Cooling things down too much too soon before the yeast has a chance to start reproducing and eating will just make them go dormant.

Oh, Nice looking pie!

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate the knowledge!

That pizza looks GREAT! Good job.

Comment

Looking good. If I am making dough for that day it never hits the fridge. The second fermentation happens in my dough-mate tray on the counter. Yeast wise that Saf-Instant rapid rise works great, especially as suggested above some luke warm water and a little sugar within 5-10 minutes should see activity.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here