Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dough failed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dough failed?

Made this new york style pizza dough last night, didn't rise barely at all. Top pic. After i mixed it
    bottom pic over 24hr in fridge.
    Think my yeast was dead? Should i toss the dough or is it worth trying to make pizza?
    i used active yeast and mixed the yeast in lukewarm water and it didn't really bubble at all after several minutes. Does that mean it was bad.
    Im a newbie at dough so i went ahead used it but now I think i messed up?...😮 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200823_160520.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	901163Click image for larger version

Name:	20200824_172239.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	901164

That could be the problem. How old is the yeast and can you find an expiration date? I'd just bake it as bread. You should at least be able to spread a little butter on it and eat it. And that way you're not taking a chance on "wasting" the pizza ingredients.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      The date was good on it but it had been open in our fridge for a while. Bread sounds like a good idea. Ill just mix a new batch up with new yeast! Thanks

I'd probably vote--Bad Yeast.

Comment

So the yeast can be dead, or you killed it by using too hot water or didn’t activate it by using cool water. It’s likely dead but possible it just didn’t warm enough before you put in fridge. If you bring to room temp for 2 hrs and it still doesn’t rise, it’s dead. You can still use it but it will be thin and dense

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. Too hot water could’ve killed it. And if you put it in fridge too quickly, it didn’t have time to activate. Yeast is so interesting. Keep trying to learn its attributes.

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Used luke warm water. But put in fridge after about 15 min of sitting out☹

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        marshall - before you toss the remaining yeast, put one TBS in a cup of warm (105ish deg) with a tsp of sugar and let it sit for 15 min. If it doesn’t bubble up and smelll like bread, it’s dead and you can toss. If it is still active, keep using it and make some adjustments (Warmer water, mix/knead linger before cold ferment, etc)

I think the year is dead. BTW, what's with the color of the dough?

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's the lighting

I cast my vote for dead yeast. But all is not lost. Take the dough and make pizza. Pizza with unleavened dough is a real option. You can search on it for a more (?) informed opinion, but I'd roll it out on a piece of lightly oiled parchment paper to whatever thickness you like, top it and bake it like you were going to. Keep an eye on it, it will cook differently than a leavened dough, but it should taste just fine - just different. Bread is just flour, water and salt, leavener is just a modern addition. You don't need no stinkin yeast, just an adventurous soul. Hell you might just like it and add it to your repetoire
      Last edited by coupster; August 24, 2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        Ill give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!

You may have refrigerated it too soon. I always leave it on the counter for at least several hours, and sometimes I start it in the morning and refrigerate just before I go to bed. Or you can extend the cold ferment for several days.

Here's a video from the guys at Baking Steel:

Last edited by RonB; August 24, 2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Yes, dead yeast, Watching your yeast bubble in a glass of warm water with some sugar is always a good insurance policy. Setting that aside... You can knead in about a tsp of baking powder and salvage the crust. Maybe add a small amount of evoo... Roll it out out really thin...Add your toppings..Bake....Call it a day!!..

Comment

Amazing that I still can't find yeast in the stores. Luckily I am not out yet and make mostly sourdough.

Comment

• marshall
            marshall commented
            Editing a comment
            I just ordered some on Amazon fwiw

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here