Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenji lopez recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenji lopez recipe

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200721_170716.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	884259 I got this 00 flour delivered today, hope it ups my pizza crust. Im going to try Kenji's basic neopolitan dough recipe in my attempt to find and hopefully someday perfect that woodfired pizza crust i crave so much, planning on making the dough tomorrow morning and make pizzas on Saturday!

I made up a batch of dough yesterday using that flour for my Kettle Pizza. I think the flour does make a difference. Bread flour will get pretty close though.

I do need to try Kenji's recipe again. I have been using one that calls for kneading for 15 minutes. The ingredient ratios are very similar so it would be interesting to try his without kneading and see how it turns out.

Comment

I bought a bag of Caputo 00 Americana Pizza Flour (Molino Caputo) awhile back. It produced the best d*mn pizza I've ever made. But at 4 times the cost of KAB, my taste buds and palate can slum it, while my wallet breathes a sigh of relief.

I've found that long cold ferments will make up for many, many long minutes of kneading

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! Yea its a bit pricey

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      You are so right! Long, slow fermentation in the fridge makes good pizza dough!

Kenji's recipe/method has become my favorite. You can play with the ferment times and see how it suits your tastes. The texture is wonderful, the stretch is very friendly for forming, and the taste is terrific. Handled in the chosen cooker properly the dough will take on that perfect char that has a nice "nutty" taste without tasting burnt (as long as you don't go too far unless you want to). It freezes well as long as you let it come to room temp for a few hours of thaw, which might even add just a bit more to the ferment.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Now im gettin excited!

Caputo is all we use at work. Good stuff.

Comment

BTW - I use Kenji's NY style pizza dough recipe. I make it in our food processor. It takes longer to clean up than to make the dough...

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        That looked good to!

I use his food processor method 95% of the time, esp for same day dough and generally use his ratios but change up the hydration slightly. I can't recall offhand what hydration he uses, but for a neapolitan crust using Caputo 00 flour, I vary between 63-65% hydration.

I love the caputo flour. Makes for a great pizza in my Ooni Koda and is pretty easy to work with too.

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        Ooni koda! Im jealous, would love to see some pics. If i get in to making some good pizzas im gona break down and get an ooni!🤤

Makes great pizza. I found a deal for 8 bags of the Caputo 00 flour for $45 on amazon last month.

Comment

When I want New York style pizza I use JKL recipe. But I substitute the "00" flour. The only thing that I disagree with Kenji about is passing the windowpane test. I DON’T want my dough to pass the windowpane test. I want it to be relaxed and stretch easily. I find that a minimum of two days in the fridge is necessary for a good pizza crust.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here