Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FibraMent-D Baking Stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FibraMent-D Baking Stone?

I’m looking for a nice rectangle pizza stone for my oven and during my research came across a company in Illinois called FibraMent-D. They get good reviews and their prices seem quite reasonable. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with FibraMent and/or has personal experience using their baking stones.

I've had a 20 x 15 x 3/4 for a couple decades now. Its been used in both natural gas and electric residential ovens. Short & sweet, its heavy (20 lbs) and slow to preheat but retains its heat for a long time. It makes excellent hearth bread and other baked goods. It makes acceptable home pizza, but can't replicate the crust of a commercial pizza oven. For that you need a steel (which I own and use) or a corderite slab (or so I've heard). After many years of experimenting with what I've got, my preferred setup is Fibrament alone for baking and a steel set directly on the Fibrament for pizza. This results in a gentler (???) crust for long time bakes of breads and the crispier bottom and bubblier edges for hot & fast pizza bakes. The combination of the 2 cuts the reheat time for back to back pizzas.

Bottom line opinion. Pizza alone, get a steel. Baked goods, get a stone. Money and storage space no object, get both. A steel is a little too hot and fast heat transfer for baked goods. There are ways to get around this. It also gives up its heat fast so it takes sometime to reheat. It does make a good stove top griddle. Fibrament keeps its heat, but doesn't give it up quickly not so good for crisp pizzeria crust, great for baked goods. But you can do back to back pizzas all day long. You won't be disappointed with either.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Will just any steel work?

I can get a 18 in 10 gauge circle cut for about $30.

The ones I see on Amazon go from about $40 - $150.

What kind of steel do you recommend juat for pizza?

I admittedly don't know squat about steel. Baking Steel sells 1/4" low carbon slabs of steel. The cooking surfaces are smooth and can be seasoned like cast iron or carbon steel woks. The edges have been machined smooth so you won't cut your hand handling them. There have been posts from folks that have successfully done what you're suggesting. If you can get something that's safe to eat off of, go for it. The founder of Baking Steel comes from a steel family, fwiw.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      The 1/4 in piece I bought to fix the bottom of the PBC is pretty smooth. Maybe I'll try it as a pizza steel before I weld it in the bottom of the barrel.... And I can known whether I need another steel, or another option

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here