Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza on MB560 Question: Will Post Pics When Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza on MB560 Question: Will Post Pics When Done

Henrik hoping you can chime in.

I am planning on cooking pizza on the MB560 this weekend at 700 degrees. How long do you think it will take the pizza to cook at that temp and how long should I leave the stone in to ensure it is hot enough? Right now I am thinking 15-20 minutes to heat the stone and perhaps 3-5 minutes for the pizza?

I am using Kenji’s pizza dough recipe and planning on two 12” to 14” inch pies.
    Last edited by STEbbq; June 12, 2020, 06:54 PM.

Which dough recipe? At that temp I’d use the Neapolitan

Comment

I was planning on New York style but could push it back a day if the Neopolitan is significantly better. First time doing pizza on the grill!

Comment

When baking bread at ~ 450°. most recipes say to preheat the stone for an hour. One way to save fuel is to preheat the stone in the oven and transfer to the cooker to get it to final temp. An infrared thermometer will help you measure the temp of the stone.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent. I do not have a infrared thermometer so I guess I will just do the hour at 500 or so and then transfer to the 700 degree grill.

I did a YouTube video cooking Iberico Ribs and pizza (Hank’s True BBQ on YT).

Question: what type of stone? I have a Fredstone, put it in 5 minutes before, then my thin crust pizza took 10 minutes to cook at that temp. Hope that helps.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a NorPro stone and I will go and subscribe now!

At that temp I’d start the stone cold and give it 30 minutes to heat up.

do not use a metal or steel "stone" at high temp. Too conductive and wil burn the bottom before the top can finish

a somewhat lower hydration dough will cook just in time so you can move/slide/rotate it. If you use a recipe set for 450-500 it may not firm up before you have to rotate it. (May not have to rotate in there?)

at 900F it takes ~70 seconds (on my karu) and at 500 in the oven it’s about 180-200 seconds. So there’s your rough boundaries.

pizza is on the to do list for the mbg1050.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        No need to rotate in the MB.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn’t think so but I haven’t tried it yet.

What hydration level have you used?

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t know. I buy pizza dough at a restaurant store, 50 in a carton. Superb quality. All I have to do is thaw them and add topping.

STEbbq I think at 700 degrees, a pizza will be done in 4-5 minutes. I've been doing them on my kettle, using my Lodge 14" cast iron pizza pan, using the pan like a stone, and at 550 degrees or so, a 14" NY style thin crust pizza takes about 8-9 minutes. I rotate the pizza 90 degrees every 2 minutes. Not sure you need to rotate since your heat is more indirect than in my kettle. On the kettle, the fire is in the Slow ' N Sear to one side, so that edge is hotter - that's why I need to rotate. In a wood fired pizza oven, they rotate due to the fire being at the back of the oven, for the same reason.

Comment

Pics! Moving the pizza to the peel and to the stone was really tricky but it tastes yummy even if the presentation won’t win any awards. The cleanup was a bit much though so I don’t think I will be making pizzas regularly.

i also did burgers and my wife said they were the best yet so the level of temp control really makes a big difference for me with the MB560 over the PBC and Weber.

Lastly, my $8 WiFi antennae kept me connected in the house so that was a great investment!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by STEbbq; June 14, 2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I did 550 for 10 minutes a pizza after heating the stone in the oven at 515 for an hour.

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yum.

Did pizza today they took 7 minutes at ~650F. The stone probably want quite up to temp.

the karu is better for that style but the mbg1050 is respectable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6344F46A-9CDB-47AC-9DF2-7034EBA07180.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	862618
        Last edited by Polarbear777; June 14, 2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Top looks great. How was the bottom?

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Not as charred or spotted as I like it, but brown and good. Will try to temp soak the stone more next time. Or just fire up the Karu. Of course I made wings at the same time in this.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Polarbear777 - that makes sense since the air temp was higher than the stone temp.

Put together data gathered on the 1050 over the last week...runs about 10F over the setting (makes sense because the built in probe is opposite the firebox)
          https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ibration-tests

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
            Top looks great. How was the bottom?
            Here you go.
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here