Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reuben Pizza on Sourdough Rye Crust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reuben Pizza on Sourdough Rye Crust

Tried an experiment with our rye sourdough starter. Used it to make pizza crust topped with Reuben ingredients instead of the more typical pizza toppings. Used 360 grams fed yesterday rye starter, 180 grams AP flour, 1 tsp salt and 60 grams canola oil. Mixed and kneaded by hand just enough to make a smooth dough (~4 minutes). Half to freezer, half to bowl:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Dough.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	848193
    Proofed at 84º for 8 hours:

Name:	8 hour rise.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	848194
    Rolled out on parchment paper: (not very good at this)

Name:	rolled.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	848195
    Baked crust in BGE for 8 minutes at 450º, then added thousand island dressing, pastrami, kraut, and Swiss cheese:

Name:	ingredients.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	848196
    4 more minutes:

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	848197
    Turned out quite good, very crispy thin crust the way we like it. Will add a little ground caraway next time to enhance the "rye" flavor.

Very creative!

Comment

Interesting. At first glance I though no way, but after looking at the end result and thinking more about it you might have something here. Going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I'd eat that! I added a little ground caraway to my rye bread recently and it made a big difference. It didn't take a lot to add much flavor. I think you'd like it.

Comment

Looks great johnec00 ! Pizza "experiments" happen often at our house too.

Comment

Wow, who would of throught.

Comment

I’d eat that any time! That is a great turnout!

Comment

Pizza 'Rueben' is often on out short list of favorites. Another is Pizza 'Pesto" Using a good pesto sauce as the base, use bacon and pepperoni as the meats, mushrooms, peppers red onions as the vegs and moz and parm as the cheese.

Comment

I did this same thing a few months ago, grilled it on a BGE. Fantastic! I don't think you can go wrong if you like Reubens.

Name:	grilled sourdough Reuben pizza.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	848685

Comment

Looks great, nice step by step pics!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here