Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st deep dish pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st deep dish pizza

This was my first try at deep dish pizza and it was really good! I can't wait to tweak it to perfection !
    Any tips or advice would be great.
    It needed cooked just a little longer but wasn't sure how to really tell if i were over cooking it.
    I used a generic brand of crushed tomatoes that i added spices to and it ended up tasting kinda like spaghetti sauce instead of pizza sauce, if anyone is willing to share a good sauce recipe that is not to difficult that would be appreciated!
    last there was a lot of liquid running out of the sauce despite draining it.....overall very happy with first run, will do again soon! Here is the recipe i followed if anyone's interested

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-pizza-5612273Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_172151.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	835773Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_172505.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	835774Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_172924.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	835775Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_173222.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	835776Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_181140.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	835777Click image for larger version

Name:	20200421_181501.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	835778

We love this one. It originally came from Serious Eats Pizza Lab, but is no longer on their site, for some reason. My changes (not many - I use crushed tomatoes instead of whole peeled - are in the Notes at the bottom.

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    4 medium garlic cloves, smashed
    1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice, drained
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons sugar
    4 sprigs basil, leaves and stems reserved separately
    Kosher salt

Directions:
    1. Heat olive oil and garlic cloves in 8-inch skillet over medium heat until lightly bubbling. Reduce heat to low and cook until garlic is light brown and tender, about 10 minutes, flipping garlic cloves once during cooking. Transfer garlic cloves to bowl of food processor or blender (without the oil). Add drained tomatoes. Process or blend until roughly pureed, and set aside.

2. Transfer garlic-scented olive oil to large saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add oregano and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato mixture, sugar, and basil stems. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt.

Notes:
    1. I use one can of crushed tomatoes. After sauteing the garlic cloves, I put them in the cup of my immersion blender, add about a cup of the crushed tomatoes and puree the whole thing. I then add the mixture back into the can of tomatoes and pulse the entire can a few times to mix everything in and also to make the tomatoes smoother. Due to the extra liquid from using crushed instead of whole drained tomatoes, I might simmer the sauce an extra 5 or 10 minutes until I like the consistency. I then add kosher salt a pinch at a time, stirring well and tasting before adding another pinch. 2 or 3 pinches is usually enough for my taste
    ​​
    Last edited by Dewesq55; April 21, 2020, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good ill try it next time, thanks!

Looks really good to me!

Comment

For sauce, I like to use 6 in 1 All Purpose Ground Tomatoes. It is so flavorful I use it right out of the can, and just sprinkle a little oregano on top
      after saucing the pizza. It can be hard to find, especially the 1 lb 12 oz cans. I get it from an Italian market.

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you drain them at all?

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        No need to drain. Ingredients are:
        VINE-RIPENED UNPEELED FRESH GROUND TOMATOES, EXTRA HEAVY TOMATO PUREE, SALT.

This is a popular sauce to use for pizza.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here