Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza on the kettle - TONIGHT - need recommendations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza on the kettle - TONIGHT - need recommendations!

Ok folks, making two "buffalo chicken" pizzas tonight, for which I grilled a couple of extra large chicken breasts at lunch (on the Genesis) to be diced up as a topping, along with buffalo sauce and cheese.

I want to move from the oven to my kettle, and watched the video over at SnSgrills.com this week, where the guy basically puts his stone on the main grate, with a fire going in the SnS, and he leaves the kettle cracked so that the wood chunks blaze and flame shoots up into the top of the kettle.

I can either try his technique, or I had thought to use my hover grill to put the pizza up higher in the dome, to get more heat. Either way, my "stone" is actually a Lodge 14" pizza pan, and I'll just transfer the pizza to it from the Performer side table using parchment paper, then I'll use a big spatula to rotate it during the cook, once the dough sets up some.

Any advice? Should I keep it low on the main grate, or move it up 3-4 inches higher on the hover grill? Or just give up and keep it in the oven in the kitchen...

Whatever you do don't use the oven!

Comment

Well, since Attjack shamed me into not using the oven, I built up the fire outside with some B&B lump and a few chunks of cherry and apple wood, and got the kettle over 500 degrees using the techniques shown by the SNSgrills pizza video. I think having the Lodge raised up on the Hover grill helped. I built the pizzas on parchment paper, picked up with a sheet pan and slid onto the Lodge. After a minute or two, I was able to slide the paper out. Rotated the pizza every minute or two with my Grillgrates spatula that was handy, and took 8-10 minutes max per pizza.

These pizzas were buffalo chicken, made from chicken I grilled at lunch, but with some veggies added - Black and green olives, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts.

Verdict from the wife - best pizza so far!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8EA51D65-A538-44E8-8156-3E4494BE6FCF.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	833723Click image for larger version

Name:	E17D0E26-06D4-4D78-A96C-3C5EF1E21CB8.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	833722

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks awesome! I don’t use the kettle anymore for pizza, but that would be the way I would do it!

That looks great.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        It was!

I do a similar set up - I raise the stone off the main grate using some old charcoal baskets, crack the lid on weber kettle to keep the fire roaring, spin the pie once.

I find the key is to make sure the stone or iron is properly pre-warmed. I find it can take a full 45 minutes some times.

Comment

Looks great, nice work.

Comment

Serious question as I'll be triying this soon. Why not just put coals underneath in a single layer so they're directly under the stone?

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Because the direct heat under the stone will likely burn the bottom of the crust before the top is done.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            What Thunder77 said. This technique worked well. If I did not have a SnS I would arrange the coals round the edge of the charcoal grate and put the stone or in this case cast iron in the center - just not over direct heat.

• fkrall
            fkrall commented
            Editing a comment
            What Thunder77 said. Think of it as having to heat THE ENTIRE AREA, not just the stone. I consistently had tasteless unbrowned crust and lifeless toppings placing my stone on the bottom rack in our oven. I moved it up to the 5th level (of 7), same 500º, and the pizza was excellent. Better reflected heat. Next step is the Weber 22, using the SnS and raising the stone on fire bricks hopefully getting the same result.

Originally posted by pknj View Post
          I do a similar set up - I raise the stone off the main grate using some old charcoal baskets, crack the lid on weber kettle to keep the fire roaring, spin the pie once.

I find the key is to make sure the stone or iron is properly pre-warmed. I find it can take a full 45 minutes some times.
          I let the charcoal burn down in the chimney for 15-20 minutes, then dumped in the SNS, added more charcoal and the wood, and let the Lodge heat for 20 minutes. It was up to 500+ by then. Spun each pizza 90 degrees every 1-2 minutes.

Very pleased with the results, got some nice leopard spotting on the bottom, and it was thin and crispy like we liked. The Smoke added a whole new dimension

Comment

• pknj
            pknj commented
            Editing a comment
            I love light the smoke flavor - spoils me against take out.

One of these days I want to try an oonie or whatever but not worth the money just yet.

Enough of this irrelevant drivel--where in the hell did you find the yeast? ("In my pantry" doesn't count!)

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have some extra that I can mail to you. PM me. I keep plenty on hand, because I am always baking something.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I used Fleishman Active Dry yeast, from a jar in my fridge. I bought it right around the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis, at the local Walmart, in early March. They were out of bread or close to it, so I got flour and yeast just to be prepared. I've been buying it the past year or so, and replacing every 6 months if not used up, as that is what the jar says the shelf life is after opening.

We use the yeast for pizza dough and no-knead bread, so it lasts a while.

• fkrall
            fkrall commented
            Editing a comment
            Great timing! As an active bread baker, I used to keep 16 oz in our freezer. Haven't done that in a while, which I now regret. I do have some, if I could just remember where I hid the key....

Great stuff, now I have an excuse to buy another piece of cast iron! Just kidding I never need an excuse. Pizza looks great!

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            While Lodge markets this 14" pan just for baking, I understand from others here in the Pit that it makes a nice griddle as well, on the stove or on the grill. I've only used it for baking pizza so far...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here