Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ooni 3 first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooni 3 first attempt

Spectacular fail. Not the fault of the oven. Could not get the pizza off the peel and into the oven. Thankfully i kinda saw it coming and stuck the pizza stone in the oven and was able to maneuver it onto that.

i was using a stainless peel and despite flouring it would not even come close to sliding off. Ive read a wooden one is better for raw dough.

any tips or tricks appreciated.

You say floured, if that was AP you could flour try corn meal instead. May work a little better.

but did the pizza turn out ok though?

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      The pizza still ended up tasty if somewhat misshapen, lol. Convection at 450 for 11 mins, perfect. Just bummed about not being able to get it into the ooni.

Well, I’m certainly no expert when it comes to pizza but I was instructed a long time ago: wood for delivery, stainless for recovery. LOL
    I have both...and generally have used wood for both...though I can see how getting the SS under the pizza could be quicker for spinning.

And as @barelfy suggests, cornmeal can help a lot.

Comment

Here's how you do it.

Method 1: This is what I do. Stretch your dough and then lay it on a sheet of parchment paper. Then add sauce, cheese, toppings. Trim the parchment to be about 1/4" from the edge of the dough. Use a peel to launch the pizza into your oven. Rotate your pizza once and when it's half baked take it out and remove the parchment like a magician does with a table cloth. Then relaunch the pizza and finish cooking normally.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Cf4E8SB31uU2X9drnBT7_smL0PCsyVa_8cclJd_hmWch_t9BbA1itxj7l-1RXNLNe5KsIu7NjBrNn1supdhS4eK38Vj2MY_ZJP_2fi-UG2BvPzYyWeih_dVHmglCc9o_fx9OGPip4SzBPlT7dGIdw3753BoVv4GrCYAAqGbR0es1Fg5mrWpt3UsB9Tsae84h7Hmx2X8zYPCaSAGbPBkL5aGTZ7ji0NIerq6M15AQX3bUYCD_JYr7Uk6JT7nofXe
Views:	1947
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	814697

Method 2: This is what I used to do. Stretch your dough. Add cornmeal to your peel (a wooden peel works best). put your dough onto the peel and build the pizza. Then launch it into your oven and cook. After launching I liked to switch to a metal peel for the rest of the cook.

Name:	lbeUrFp_KAFuO5HGH14gyFphsiYs3BGP2ZX55MU0p4lNft1IB-jhjvTRo9ZIo6dVJO2VTtlxFWwaNUTkdLXHp5HRKrBKQFB574bLyBHSM75LzyD_Zp0SOTl-Fg5n2bE-TjL5h1emL0YxN_TlhQ7NHLiFDrmQnxseoABnt0B73Gt4IjI3VZcahmY-ywaAclIAP8ma-nGTLXdBJb7B3vIZD_pUhQnm1jUJqTJ_plQ8zC2UsfOvVm4lssiHZb9hKcl
Views:	2023
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	814698
      Last edited by Attjack; March 13, 2020, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        That parchment paper idea sounds solid, ill have to try it next time around, as I've had mucho troubles transferring pizza....thanks for the photos and tips!

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use parchment paper a lot in baking. That looks great!

Corn meal or parchment paper, if not too hot. If you’re doing like 800 degrees, use parchment paper. Corn meal and flour will burn.

Comment

had the same problem.....until I learned about dough hydration ratios. With my Ooni, after destroying a few pies and making pepperoni charcoal, I found Ken Forkish's book indispensable.....with the heat my Ooni rolls at the lower dough hydration also solved the stickiness problem. how hot was your Ooni?

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Dont have an IR so im not sure but it was def rolling! Not that it mattered since i couldnt even get the pie into it

A lower hydration dough helps as does parchment. But you also need to work quickly once you place the dough on the peel. You don't want the moisture in the dough to soak the parchment or cornmeal.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack - Maybe. If I leave it on the parchment too long before placing in the oven, it sometimes sticks to the parchment. If I dress the 'za quickly, it doesn't happen.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel like no matter what it would release at some point but I could wrong when it comes to your setup.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack - I actually don't remember, but I know it has happened in the past - no release. I may have changed dough recipes since then, but I still dress the 'za as quickly as possible to prevent sticking and have not had it happen recently, and for the most part, I am making Detroit Style in the oven now anyway. I would do it in the kettle, but I don't want to ruin one of my new Detroit Style pans by smokin' it...

You'll get a feel for how much flour to put on the peel. Give it the shake test to make sure it's moving. If it's stuck lift it up and toss more flour under. Blow a little air. I have an ooni koda but personally wouldn't use parchment with that. It's so tight in there space wise you'd really have to have the parchment trimmed close or it could burn up. Plus spinning is required so much with the koda. I caught some on fire heating a stone right up against the broiler in the regular oven. The first one always sticks with experience you'll be launching then in like it's nothing. I did replace the stone it came with with a baking steel to help with recovery when cooking multiple pies, worked great.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, before I switched to parchment I would get it it shaking back and forth too. If it is sliding back and forth it's a good sign your launch will go smoothly.

I use a Blackstone and there is more room in the oven and it spins itself. But it's 900f and the 1/4" of parchment does burn up but that's not an issue for me.
          Last edited by Attjack; March 14, 2020, 10:34 AM.

Plenty of ideas to work with above, just one other thing. I absolutely detest the mouth feel of cornmeal on a pizza, and AP absorbs moisture too quickly. I find a dusting of semolina flour works well as long as you follow the advice from RonB to work quickly. Also another vote to get an IR, they're not that expensive anymore, and oh so handy,

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on semolina. Running your hand across a paddle surface coated with semolina feels like you have roller bearings coating the paddle.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed on cornmeal. Before I switched to parchment I did find that not all cornmeal was equal. So some was softer but I'll never go back to cornmeal or flour.

2nd attempt was better but still not great. I used parchment and solved the previous issue, but man, this thing is a fine line between cooked dough and burnt top. I think the dough was just a tad too thick and hence was a little undercooked.

ill get there

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          It sounds like temperature management is your next thing to address. Also, dough hydration is going to be a factor. Are you making your own dough?

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack ive made in the past for the oven but for convenience sake we have been using trader joes premade. It is on the wet side i feel.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I use store-bought too including Trader Joes. I prefer Whole Foods dough over TJs but mostly I buy from a local chain. WF is a big dough you might want to split it in 2 if you try it. Anyway, I think you just need to run your oven a little cooler and you will start nailing it.

if the top is done faster than your crust, is is usually the stone is not as hot as the ambient air. Try running hotter than you intend to bake at, then drop the temp just before launching. Or have a longer warm up period.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Good advice. I get my oven up to 900f and then launch my pizza and immediately turn down my heat. Easy to do with my propane-fired oven but not possible with Grant's Ooni.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          have had mine up to right at 1200° once...backed it down since then.

Name:	7A6D0813-A572-4CC4-A21E-21F331D89FD1.jpeg
Views:	1798
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	818679

finally nailed one. Might not be the prettiest but i hit the right balance of top and cooked crust

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice work!

I'm inspired! I don't have an Ooni but my PK360 came with a pizza stone that I need to try out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here