Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ooni 3 first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, before I switched to parchment I would get it it shaking back and forth too. If it is sliding back and forth it's a good sign your launch will go smoothly.

I use a Blackstone and there is more room in the oven and it spins itself. But it's 900f and the 1/4" of parchment does burn up but that's not an issue for me.
    Last edited by Attjack; March 14, 2020, 10:34 AM.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Could be... I actually often use store bought dough from Whole Foods or similar which is lazy but convenient. You actually have your dough stick to the parchment after a couple minutes in a 700 - 900 degree oven though?

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on semolina. Running your hand across a paddle surface coated with semolina feels like you have roller bearings coating the paddle.

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    Plenty of ideas to work with above, just one other thing. I absolutely detest the mouth feel of cornmeal on a pizza, and AP absorbs moisture too quickly. I find a dusting of semolina flour works well as long as you follow the advice from RonB to work quickly. Also another vote to get an IR, they're not that expensive anymore, and oh so handy,

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Attjack - could be that my dough is wetter than yours.

• Michael Brinton
    replied
    You'll get a feel for how much flour to put on the peel. Give it the shake test to make sure it's moving. If it's stuck lift it up and toss more flour under. Blow a little air. I have an ooni koda but personally wouldn't use parchment with that. It's so tight in there space wise you'd really have to have the parchment trimmed close or it could burn up. Plus spinning is required so much with the koda. I caught some on fire heating a stone right up against the broiler in the regular oven. The first one always sticks with experience you'll be launching then in like it's nothing. I did replace the stone it came with with a baking steel to help with recovery when cooking multiple pies, worked great.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    In my experience if you use parchment you can make 10 pizzas ahead of time and keep them in clean pizza boxes. Then you can cook pizza after pizza one after the other. Hydration is important for other reasons for sure in relation to the temperature if your oven though.

• RonB
    replied
    A lower hydration dough helps as does parchment. But you also need to work quickly once you place the dough on the peel. You don't want the moisture in the dough to soak the parchment or cornmeal.

Leave a comment:

• marshall
    commented on 's reply
    That parchment paper idea sounds solid, ill have to try it next time around, as I've had mucho troubles transferring pizza....thanks for the photos and tips!

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    Dont have an IR so im not sure but it was def rolling! Not that it mattered since i couldnt even get the pie into it

• xaugievike
    replied
    had the same problem.....until I learned about dough hydration ratios. With my Ooni, after destroying a few pies and making pepperoni charcoal, I found Ken Forkish's book indispensable.....with the heat my Ooni rolls at the lower dough hydration also solved the stickiness problem. how hot was your Ooni?

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    Corn meal or parchment paper, if not too hot. If you’re doing like 800 degrees, use parchment paper. Corn meal and flour will burn.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Here's how you do it.

Method 1: This is what I do. Stretch your dough and then lay it on a sheet of parchment paper. Then add sauce, cheese, toppings. Trim the parchment to be about 1/4" from the edge of the dough. Use a peel to launch the pizza into your oven. Rotate your pizza once and when it's half baked take it out and remove the parchment like a magician does with a table cloth. Then relaunch the pizza and finish cooking normally.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cf4E8SB31uU2X9drnBT7_smL0PCsyVa_8cclJd_hmWch_t9BbA1itxj7l-1RXNLNe5KsIu7NjBrNn1supdhS4eK38Vj2MY_ZJP_2fi-UG2BvPzYyWeih_dVHmglCc9o_fx9OGPip4SzBPlT7dGIdw3753BoVv4GrCYAAqGbR0es1Fg5mrWpt3UsB9Tsae84h7Hmx2X8zYPCaSAGbPBkL5aGTZ7ji0NIerq6M15AQX3bUYCD_JYr7Uk6JT7nofXe
Views:	1965
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	814697

Method 2: This is what I used to do. Stretch your dough. Add cornmeal to your peel (a wooden peel works best). put your dough onto the peel and build the pizza. Then launch it into your oven and cook. After launching I liked to switch to a metal peel for the rest of the cook.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lbeUrFp_KAFuO5HGH14gyFphsiYs3BGP2ZX55MU0p4lNft1IB-jhjvTRo9ZIo6dVJO2VTtlxFWwaNUTkdLXHp5HRKrBKQFB574bLyBHSM75LzyD_Zp0SOTl-Fg5n2bE-TjL5h1emL0YxN_TlhQ7NHLiFDrmQnxseoABnt0B73Gt4IjI3VZcahmY-ywaAclIAP8ma-nGTLXdBJb7B3vIZD_pUhQnm1jUJqTJ_plQ8zC2UsfOvVm4lssiHZb9hKcl
Views:	2041
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	814698
    Last edited by Attjack; March 13, 2020, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    The pizza still ended up tasty if somewhat misshapen, lol. Convection at 450 for 11 mins, perfect. Just bummed about not being able to get it into the ooni.

• surfdog
    replied
    Well, I’m certainly no expert when it comes to pizza but I was instructed a long time ago: wood for delivery, stainless for recovery. LOL
    I have both...and generally have used wood for both...though I can see how getting the SS under the pizza could be quicker for spinning.

And as @barelfy suggests, cornmeal can help a lot.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here