Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lodge pizza pan or Big Green Egg Stone or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm way way down the pizza rabbit hole. I've tried and own terra cotta stones, cordierite stones, steel plates and have cooked in CI pans. And I've got a Ooni Koda pizza oven that I'm still trying to master. My current set up is a 1/4" baking steel on top of a cordierite stone in a gas oven (It really cuts down on the reheat time between pies and I already owned it.) I've never tried anything but the grates in my kettle for grilling a pizza and you don't say what you intend to use as a heat source. With all that IF you don't plan or need to move your cooking surface while hot, I would recommend a flat surface without any kind of lip. Launching, turning and removing a pizza with a peel (pretty much a necessary tool) is all but impossible with a lip - so you're pretty much limited to a CI pan with a handle. I've made acceptable to good pizza on stones and in a CI pan. I've made great pizzeria pizza on a steel. A steel is about twice the cost and weight of a stone or CI pan, but it is multi purpose. I've successfully used mine on the stove top as a double griddle and under the broiler - something I wouldn't try with a stone. In the end it pretty much comes down to intended use and budget - anything homemade is better than store bought and you'll be successful with whatever tool you use. All it takes is practice to perfect your technique.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here