Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Redneck Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBGBBQ
    replied
    I tried pizzas on the Mak 2 Star yesterday and it worked beautifully. My kiln shelf in the photos above, happened to be the exact size of the grate on the Mak. I placed it on the full size upper grate and placed the 16" stone on the lower grate. Set on High, grill zone covers removed, I reached 500 degrees and the pizzas cooked in 7 - 8 minutes, and added just enough smoke but not too much. The Mak has proven to be an amazing smoker and grill so far, and now it is a true wood fired pizza oven! I forgot to take pictures of the pizzas, but here is one of the Mak set up. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• abscam
    replied
    I'd like to see the finished product! :-)

Leave a comment:

• HBGBBQ
    replied
    Thank for the feedback. My Mak 2 Star arrives tomorrow. I am hopeful it will get hot enough to use for wood fired pizzas.
    I have my doubts but we'll see soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    I have a similar set up only my top shelf is 1/4 inch steel supported by steel pipes. I also place fire brick along the side of the top shelf to seal in the heat. Pizzas only take 4 minutes or so. If your interested in wood fired pizza I strongly recommend the Uuni. I have the first generation model and it is an amazing little machine. Pizzas are done in just a few minutes. I'll be buying the newer version (Uuni 2) as soon as I get a PBC and sous vide setup. Too many toys, and not enough dough!!!!!!

Uuni link - http://uuni.net

Forgot to mention that I also have my rotisserie burner lit too when I'm cooking pizza.
    Last edited by Dr ROK; April 7, 2015, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Nice. It's in a Weber, how could that NOT work??????

Welcome to the club....wife gave me permission to maybe do a pizza on my Pit Barrel.

Leave a comment:

• kranknhank
    replied
    Sweet,obsessed but still sweet.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    This is AWESOME!

Leave a comment:

• HBGBBQ
    started a topic My Redneck Pizza Oven

My Redneck Pizza Oven

I just joined the Pitmaster Club two days ago, so I apologize if this post is redundant. My two passions are smoking meats and making pizza. I plan to get a Mugniani Wood Fired Oven one of these days, but I have come up with an inexpensive intermediate solution. I call it my Redneck Pizza Oven. It works really well. I have a Weber Genesis Gas Grill. I have a nice 16" corderite pizza sone from Sur la Tab. I then purchased a custom cut kiln shelf and four posts from a local ceramic supply. This set up allows me to have refractory heat from the pizza stone below and the kiln shelf from above. It gives my pizzas a well rounded cook and the slight char marks on the melted cheese. The top shelf is as large as it can be while still allowing the hood to close over it. I crank up the grill to 500 + degrees and heat the stone and shelf for 45 minutes to an hour. I then back the center heat down to low and keep the sides on high to prevent burning the bottom. The large pizzas cook in about six minutes, with a few turns along the way. I am amazed at how well this contraption works! My total cost was less than $150. Here a a few photos.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here