Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, the punt I took on Sourdough crust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the punt I took on Sourdough crust

So, I started a sourdough crust on Wednesday evening, with little thought to how my fermentation schedule and proofing was going to look like, total brain freeze. But, I went with it, felt, at worst I could leanr a lesson and eat good pizza. Well, the punt missed the spot by a mile, it had terrible extensibility, but, with some careful shaping, I managed to make a pizza still,. also made enough sauce out of some San Marzanos for 4 more pizzas. All in all good lesson, pizza was good, just not great, but, would eat another 3 slices right now if I had them. Live and learn, eat and repeat. Pizza Magherita
    Attached Files

What’s your formula and your process?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      The formula was a formula out of FWSY, I just did not pay attention to the fermentation schedule, before I put it together, and punted there, as it was absolutely the wrong time of day to put it together, for some reason in my head I had it at a evening over night room temp ferment. (that was wrong, lol) Still had a good flavor, just no strength. I look forward to another try in a few weeks. My starters have been put away today after baking 5 loaves of double ferments today.

Just my opinion, but many pizza nerds share it: Forkish is great for bread and awful for pizza. Many reasons for this I won’t go into. Even Forkish acknowledges that he screwed up the pizza in FWSY, which is why he wrote The Elements of Pizza...and still got it wrong.

For timing your sourdough, there’s a really nice model here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/in...?topic=22649.0

Temperature is everything. For example, I maintain two versions of my sourdough NY Style formula, one for 65F and the other for 70F. Which one I use depends on temp in my basement (where I ferment my pizza dough) due to time of year.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I look forward to spending time reading.

Here is my NY Style Sourdough Pizza formula for proofing at 70 degrees F:

image.png.021b6f4b273e8a9009be680dbd86e1aa.png

And the same formula for proofing at 65 degrees F:

The procedure is to combine the flour (I use HIGH protein flour -- preferring All Trumps unbromated for pizza), malt, and sugar in the bowl of my stand mixer, then add the starter and water (ice water). Use the dough hook to bring it all together until it cleans the dough off the sides. Let it rest for 20 minutes. Add the salt and knead with the dough hook for one more minute. Add the oil and knead for another 5 minutes until silky smooth.

Divide the dough, ball it up, put in oiled containers and hold at the appointed temp for 20-24 hours. Your dough will tell you when it is ready to bake.

Just in case baker's % is confusing, here is the 70F formula converted for two 13" pizzas:

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      I should add that I like to use about 10% fresh milled whole grain in my dough.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here