Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza Crusts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza Crusts

Made my first pizza crusts following a method in Flour Water Salt Yeast, used the Autolyse method that had a 12 hour room temp fermentation. I let the dough sit all together for another 12 plus hours due to timing of starting etc.. I hit all the temps I think. Will try one or two of them this weekend in my Paella pan again, and freeze the rest that I have. I have a bunch of stuff showing up tomorrow in the mail that will get me started in the bread direction. May even make a same day Saturday bread to go with spare ribs this weekend. This process may excite me as much as low n slow cooking does. Pictures below in comment section
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 1, 2019, 01:58 PM.

Forgot to post photo, and for some reason can not delete the initial post, or add a photo to it?
    Attached Files

Comment

Now I want pizza. Thanks. LOL. Always found that homemade dough is way better than most other places.

Comment

HAHAHA, I have only made dough a few times, and this was definitely a different method, different amount of yeast, etc.. I am expecting to learn some lessons with this, (I think I already have.) But, yes, those ones I made before were really good, I am also really excited to start making my own tortilla's. I hear they are far better then store bought.

Comment

Stick with it over time the results get better and better. Making pizza from scratch used to be an event, now it is just it is just fun. Google poolish pizza dough, I switched to this method a few years ago and the flavor of the crust is amazing.
          Attached Files

Comment

On another site I frequent several members rave about "making" a Papa Murphy's pizza on they cooker of choice. Sigh.....but they're happy in their own little world.

Whichever recipe one follows, if the results yield a dough that has a beautiful smooth skin while resting, is stretchable to a nice thin pre-crust without having to resort to a rolling pin, and that yields a marvelous, let's call it nutty, flavor especially if your cooker can impart some lovely char spots below and around the edges with some nice crunch to the bite...……………..oh man!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Papa Murphy's may just be what some think is great Za, More power to them. if it gets them cooking, and paying attention to the details. That is cool. certainly not my pizza. The pizza you describe sounds about what I like!

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              Papa Murphy's is a good value if you need a quick meal. It is my favorite for take out - I like that it is fresh baked when I eat it, rather than dragging cooked pizza home in a box and eating it cold and soggy. That said, I like to experiment with home made as well, and appreciate the tips received here. I just read above about "poolish" which I never heard of and will now have to try!

My last one I made following a different recipe turned out fantastic, really looking forward to finding one that fits my taste. Likely many will, which is the fun part of all of this. I really look forward to the learning process more then anything.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 1, 2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

For some more--and, imho even better, information,. get a copy of Forkish's Elements of Pizza. It'll kick your pizza game up a lot.

Happy cookin'!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                Definitely on my list of must own.

I know this is heresy on this site... but I make my crust by toasting a Mission Super Soft Flour tortilla in my toaster oven. I love super thin crispy crust and literally SUCK at baking. Kudos to you all you who tuff it out!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                Honestly, I think what I like about this site, possibly the most, is there seems to be no Heresy on this site (at least not from what I have seen. Do you, and be happy with it, That is the vibe I get here. and then there is the factor of, if someone does want some advice or tips, it is there when asked for, never sooner. Cheers

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                That's basically Kenji's method for making bar pizza.

Ok guys anyone sharing their top secret pizza doe recipie

Comment

This is one of my favorite crusts to make. Sometimes I substitute about 3/4 cup Semolina flour for that much Bread Flour. IMO that kicks it up a notch. It hardly fits my food processor so I stir it all together pretty well before going into the food processor. This also freezes pretty well. Good luck.

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's been my go to recipe for some time now. I like the idea of subbing some semolina though.

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Skip, you beat me to it. I love that recipe from Kenji. It's soooo easy.

my pizza crust has evolved a bit, not exactly where I want it yet, but, getting closer. I am hoping my next round will have a sourdough levain in it. Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza 2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	751842Click image for larger version

Name:	Pizza Grill 1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	751843

Comment

You will like the sour dough pizza crust, it is now the only way I make mine. I use the overnight dough with levain recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast (page 222) and I let it age in the fridge for 2 days after dividing.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                    Richard Chrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you 58limited I was guessing that there has to be a deeper flavor in the levain,

• 58limited
                    58limited commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Richard Chrz It makes a great focaccia too. I'm baking bread today and will start the overnight pizza dough tonight and make some pizza Tuesday evening and Wednesday on the kamado, and the rest of the dough will be used for focaccia. Do you have Tartine Bread by Chad Roberston? Great book on sourdoughs with a great photo tutorial.
                    Last edited by 58limited; October 5, 2019, 07:29 AM.

Originally posted by Richard Chrz View Post
                  my pizza crust has evolved a bit, not exactly where I want it yet, but, getting closer. I am hoping my next round will have a sourdough levain in it.
                  Man, those look perfect! I've been trying to up my pizza game as well, but so far I'm only at the point where I think I've got the Weber kettle where I want it - I'm propping a pizza stone up on bricks as far as I can get it, and still have the lid close (almost!)
                  I've been baking a lot of bread from Flour Water Salt Yeast, and recently got his pizza book too. If you haven't checked it out, I'd recommend doing so! It's different from the bread book; for example he ditches the autolyse step, saying he was wrong in his first book and that skipping it makes the pizza dough better! FYI!

Wish me luck next week. I'm goin' in!
                  Last edited by Raijer; October 5, 2019, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                    Richard Chrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am going to get a pizza steel for my weber, from here on out this fall and winter I will cook them in the oven. This one was in the oven. FWSY is a good book. I do have elements of pizza as well. Keep at it, it is a forever learning process. Or atleast I hope.

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I too have both of those books. I recently made the "I want pizza but I slept in today" recipe. Also I love this sauce from serious eats.:

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here