Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got a good no yeast pizza dough recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got a good no yeast pizza dough recipe?

Ive tried a couple that have all been pretty simple: flour, baking powder, salt, and milk, for the most part. But its not quite right. Im wondering if anyone has a "instant" pizza dough recipe that doesnt require rising and replicates the real thing?

Um, get a premade Boboli crust or something like that at the grocery store for a cook when you don't have time to let the dough rise? I've made pizza crust from scratch a few times, and can't think how it would be right without the yeast and 90 to 120 minutes of rise time.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah...but its like chasing the dragon, there must be a way. Usually its a saturday and my 4 year old says lets make pizza for lunch. He loves being in the kitchen but has the attention span of a gnat so quicker is better, lol.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I never liked that quote. Gnats seem to have a strong attention span when they are bothering you.

Have you tried this one?

Step away from the phone. Put down those coupons. Let's talk through this. What if I told you that you could make homemade pizza in less time than it

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Still uses yeast...maybe i just need to buy some. i used to make a lot of bread but found i threw out a lot more yeast than i used so i stopped buying it. Also, not a fan of crusts that have cheese in them, i find they never crisp up well.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you need to buy a jar of instant yeast. Once open, just keep it in the fridge and use within 6 months. Don't look at the parmesan - I was just pointing to this as a quick example of a no-rise crust that uses yeast, and is ready by the time the oven pre-heats.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      I put the jar of dry yeast in the freezer. I've been making pizza dough for my wood fired Forno Bravo oven, guided mostly by Ken Forkish, of Portland's Ken's Artisan Pizza (The Elements of Pizza or Flour Water Salt Yeast.) I've used his same day recipe (requires 8 hours) and 48 hour refrigerated Biga recipes. The yeast has been good for over two years, from the freezer. I don't know if that is a recommending thing or just something I tried since I had so much yeast.

Just keep flour tortillas on hand. They can be used for many things ... including a passable pizza crust. Google "flour tortilla pizza" for some ideas.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      We used to keep those on hand when the kids were young. Instant "pizza", and we made lots of cheese quesadillas. I would almost imagine you could just do an open face quesadilla in a pan to crisp up the tortilla, and call it a pizza for a little kid. Quick and easy!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's one of the things I was gonna suggest.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris - use a lid on the pan to melt the cheese and you are golden. That's how we reheat restaurant pizza.

No yeast, no rise. No rise, cracker crust. But even the best of those are yeast risen some...

This No Yeast Pizza Dough is the quickest, easiest way to make fresh, homemade pizza for your family. All it takes is 15 minutes from start to finish! Only a handful of ingredients are needed to make this dough. Load up with your favorite toppings for dinner tonite!

Or something like boboli... We have gotten a nice thin crust pizza crust in a rectangular format at the grocery.

Comment

All joking aside, I may try one of these no rise recipes some time when I don't think about wanting pizza 2 hours ahead of time. Right now, my wife and I are hooked on cast iron skillet buffalo chicken pizza I've made several times now, and I've had time to let the dough rise at least 90 minutes each time. We loved the crust so much I can't see ordering Domino's or Papa John's again, unless we are just starving and that is what she wants (both are within a 1/2 mile of the house).

Pizza is gonna happen again this week - I just got my Prime Day Lodge pizza pan over the weekend.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris joking aside...are you saying you were trying to get a rise out of me?

I keep my yeast in the freezer, it last a year or more there. I use the instant type.

Comment

Another suggestion would be to make a batch of pizza dough using a recipe you like. Then portion it and freeze the portions. BUT - before you freeze then, pat them out very thin, and then freeze. That way if the munchkin sez I want pizza, it will be ready in short order.
      We have an old, crappy, but thick aluminum sheet pan. Most of the not stick is worn off, but I occasionally use it to quicken the defrost of whatever needs defrosting.

Comment

As a kid growing up and still now once in awhile, I’ve been known to make little pizzas on English muffins.

Just keep some in the freezer like my mother did and they defrost quickly in the microwave. Then a quick little toast in the toaster or under the broiler and they are ready to top however you want to top them.

As a kid I loved making my own exactly how I wanted them. I’m sure your 4 year old will like making their own "little pizzas"

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember doing this in the late 70's or early 80's. A tablespoon of Ragu/Prego, some mozzerella and a few pepperoni, and into the toaster oven it went!

I haven't tried this but there are recipes that are quick, no yeast.

An easy flatbread (thin crust) pizza dough without yeast made in the food processor in less than a minute - low calorie, 3 SmartPoints

Comment

We actually use naan bread for quick pizzas. Works great when quick and easy are needed.

Comment

A lot of good suggestions here. Thank you all. Maybe im trying to be too traditional. Tortilla or english muffin pizza might actually be a huge success.

Comment

Naan bread works really well for a pizza crust. You can get it pre-made at the grocery store. We also make "pizza bagels" a lot at our house. Many stores also carry pre-made refrigerated pizza dough.

Comment

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm glad I scrolled down before posting.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here