Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian Pizza Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Pizza Guy

My wife and I just got back from Italy, after attending one of our granddaughters' wedding in Tuscany, this past weekend.

The rehearsal night dinner was a swimming pool/pizza party at a beautiful hillside villa. The pizzas and calzones were cooked in a wood fired brick oven near the pool. I watched the pizza chef for quite a while and was able to get his crust formula from him.

1000 grams flour (00 with some semolina added, probably similar to our AP, overall)
    600 grams water
    1"large" spoon olive oil, probably about a tablespoon
    1 "little" spoon vinegar, probably 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (to relax the dough/gluten)
    15 to 20 grams salt
    2 grams yeast

After mixing the ingredients, the dough is allowed to rise at room temperature for 6 to 7 hours and then divided into 10 pieces, which are rolled into balls and held until ready to roll out into small pizzas. The pizzas he made were thin crust, which was typical for the pizzas different members of our family ate while in Italy.

He used only metal paddles, sprinkled with some semolina, to transfer the pizzas into and out of the open brick oven. He told me that if using a home oven he cooks the pizzas at 225 Celsius (437 F) for 20 minutes.
    Last edited by gcdmd; July 15, 2019, 06:29 PM.

Very useful information, Brother, an I appreciate yer sharin it with us...I can still close my eyes, an taste th foods I was able to enjoy, when I was stationed in Sicily!!!!

Comment

Congratulations. I was also in Italy this past spring. Just outside Siena. We stayed at a Hilton property, Borgo La Bagnaia it was called. A golf resort. Beautiful countryside.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        We were near Castiglion Fiorentino. It reminded me a lot of the northern California wine country only with higher hills, less development, and much narrower roads. The Italian wines sold for their domestic consumption don't have the preservatives that are in the wines we get here, which made them a bit smoother or more mellow.

Thanx for the info.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        You bet.

I spent so much time in Italy while I was in the Navy that it was like a second home. The pizza's were outstanding. Naple's were the king, Tuscany were a close second. You really could not go anywhere and get a bad pizza. Now as for food Tuscan beat Naples.

Comment

Great post gcdmd . Thanks for the recipe and congratulations on the Family Wedding. Sounds Fun!

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          It was, but it's good to be back in the USA, the greatest and most beautiful country on Earth.

what temp was his wood fired oven running at and how long did he bake his pies? Did he rotate? Great post

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know the working temperature, as he used an open hearth technique. He burned wodd in it for several hours before starting to cook, and added some as he went along. The pizzas and calzones were small; I don't recall him rotating, but he did put them well into the oven. The cook times were short; I think he went more by sight and general experience. I apologize for not being more of a pizza cook. If I were, I would probably have made a lot more observations and notations.

Oh wow that sounds perfect! I love thin crust!

Comment

Thanks for the post Doc, and congratulations on the nuptials.

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. They are a beautiful couple.

Always interesting to see the variations of pizza crust recipes. Here, its the addition of vinegar, with no sugar. I did a pizza last night in the pellet burner at about 500, for about 5 minutes. It probably could have gone a little longer, but if I had left it in for more than 10 minutes...well, I don't like the crust that black, and I make thick crust.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here