Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offset Smoker Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offset Smoker Pizza

something strange happened with our electricity in the house today. We were fixin to bake some pizza pies, but all of a sudden the oven was dead. What to do? I thought: hey, the fire box I my offset smoker ‘Rude Boy’ gets pretty hot, and I had previously welded up a small ‘table’ for direct grilling, so I thought it was worth a shot.

But I also knew the pizza can’t take too much direct heat from underneath. I went into my shop digging around for spare parts, and found some 4 mm steel. I placed that on the grates to protect from direct heat radiation, and then two spacers (1/8” square bar) to elevate the pizza pan just a bit.

Said and done, we made two pies with 3 cheeses (gryuere, parmesan and mozzarella) plus salami and other goodies.

Baked them for 10 minutes each (the fire was real close to the pies, didn’t want to run too hot), and boy did they come out tasty! What a fun ‘spur of the moment’ cook, and now I know I can make some mean pies in my firebox. Cool!

Getting a good fire started

Click image for larger version  Name:	AA3E4477-42FF-4A08-842D-E89261205260.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	708645

Here's the firebox door position (to keep the heat in)

Click image for larger version  Name:	B416B173-B105-41B8-9B6B-31B07E7908B2.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	708646

The first pizza, ready to go in

Click image for larger version  Name:	2FE1A9ED-4D09-4B81-81CC-0AE71C863C7D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.03 MB ID:	708648

Here's the pizza in the 'oven' (note the very uneven heat deflector, need to be fixed)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_93539.png
Views:	131
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	708649

And here's one of the pizzas. Was very hungry, so took it just a bit to soon, but the others turned out better

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_93538.png
Views:	137
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	708647

I think you are missing some pics?

Regardless, Rude Boy to the rescue, he rides again !!!!!!

Comment

BRILLIANT! But now I’m drooling!

Comment

Very nice! Who needs electricity anyway??

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly!!! I root for the power to go out!!

Great job Henrik.

Comment

Thanks! So I learned a few things. First off, even though the photos are crappy, the sheet metal I used as a heat deflector was very odd shaped. Every spart of the pizza that wasn’t protected by the metal got a little too dark on the bottom. So I’m gonna cut out a full-size rectangular one that is of the correct size. The spacers also helped.

as for the fire: due to the smoke stack the fire is drawn forward, so I placed the grates and pizza 4 inches ‘in’, and to get more even heat I ran with the fire box door almost closed. I just had a 2 inch gap. Except for that it turned out real good. Necessity sometimes forces you to change up your game :-)

@Troutman: sorry about the pics was trying to post from my phone, it was a real struggle, will try to fix it from my computer today.

Comment

Learning by burning..
            The pizza looks really good. ..

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Indeed! Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here