Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza on the Paella low-n-slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza on the Paella low-n-slow

A few years back we went to a friends house for a pizza party on their grill. I had grilled a few frozen pizzas on the grill but, never made one specifically for a grill. I was watching our friend tend to the grill, he has a Kettle Pizza, and it seemed like he was always under the gun of a live fire and a quick tipping point. Still, it was cool. So naturally when my wife bought me a kettle, I was thinking pizza attachment. Here is where my logical side kicked in. I do not make any movement really fast, so I have a rule that I can not get myself into something I can not get myself out of, that applies mostly to cooking, home brewing, etc... But, I am not a hot and fast guy other then the final sear. I also decided if I was to get a kettle pizza attachment, I would likely want a dedicated grill, I did not want to buy another grill just for an attachment, then I decided I did not want to store an attachment that big either. So then I got more practical, and went all "One pan that rules them all" in my searching. I say this only for why some of this is relative to my decisions, and maybe you pass it along someday to someone. But again, I am in an electric wheelchair. I can stand a little bit some times, I can even take a few steps at times. but, everything I do comes with a big price, so I ride most of my days in the chair. So, for the one pan that rules them all. I am also cheap, hence one pan for now. Getting myself out of a situation makes me really question some of my cast iron as my strength is always an issue, especially further you my arms out stretched. The handle on a cast is more like a bike handle to me round like a spindle (I grab it sideways), as I need both hands, and that little nub on the other is not all that great either. So, I do use it still, just on my best days. However, in my search, I began to ask questions here on one of the pages about cast iron woks, and even some pizza pan questions. Most people steered me to a carbon steel wok, that put me on another search and learn. I came across the Lodge 15 inch Carbon Steel Paella pan, it was large enough to make a nice pizza, I could use it inside and out side, I could learn to make paella, and see 20 different things I could probably have fun cooking on, (you know, one pan that rules them all). It has bigger hoop style handles so I get get a better hold on it. Also, It makes really good pizza by my current standards. I ran my second pizza cook on it last night, I wanted to try low n slow and that is how I roll. I set up one probe off to the side a bit because of pan space needs, but still right off the fire line, then ran one probe off to the side of the grill mid grill to get an idea of what my grill is doing, and then I dropped a probe inside the paella pan, and looked at my pan temp vs ambient temp, fire temp, etc.. I will run this cook up to 350 the next time to see how that works. I am guessing it would cut 5 minutes maybe? So, after I have everything set up and I was trying to run a 250ish cook, I built the pizzas on parchment paper circles I had cut out already, and made a NY style crust I found on line, THe parchment paper helped me slide off of the cutting board or pan I built the pizza on, I left the pizza on the parchment paper (pre seasoned pan with olive oil and garlic), after 10 minutes I took the parchment paper from under the crust, it slid right off, or was certainly easy. So again, only from a low and slow stand point and my attempt at a NY style crust, and running a smooth and controlled cook the whole time and a good pizza at the end. I would recommend this pan to others that are considering any of the factors. For me even. I would rather make 3 pizzas slowly over an hour (one at a time) and enjoy some beer or wine, or I am thinking I could fire up my 22wsm run it up to 300-350 and just bake two at a time in there. Yes, I ramble a bit.... I do have one dough ball in the freezer, to see how well it works on a thaw out.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 19, 2019, 09:52 AM.

Pizza looks good, going to have to look at one of those carbon steel pans.

Comment

Interesting. Keep us updated. I love pizza.

Comment

As long as you and your family enjoy it, that's all that matters. Personally, I prefer a crust with a bit of crispiness.

You did not mention where the coals are placed in the kettle, but if you want a crisper crust, you could always more a few hot coals directly under the pan. If that doesn't brown the bottom enough, add a few more hot coals the next time, and so forth until the bottom is the way you want it.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Coals were placed in a standard grill basket to the top side (no fire under this pan on this particular cook). I really don't prefer too crispy of a crust, but do not mind a bit, and this was good enough for me on the crust side. My last one I ran much hotter and the crust was too dark for me. I now need to adjust heat a bit to gain the cooking I want done on the top side of the pizza. Thank you for the tipsI was even thinking a few coals on top of the grate around the perimeter of the pan.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          You could always put the pie under the broiler for a few minutes to get the top the way you want it.

Never thought of this use for a paella. Have two of them—I see pizza in our future. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Love the write up but just have one word of advice....paragraphs

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            HA! No doubt.

I admire your grit and determination. Nice looking pizza, too, BTW.

Comment

I like the looks of your pizza and that pan is nice too! Good job Richard!

Comment

Oh man that looks great even at 7:30am. I have a Blackstone Pizza Oven and I believe yours looks better. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here