Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Pizza Stone For My Weber 22 With SnS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Pizza Stone For My Weber 22 With SnS?

I ready to buy a pizza stone for my Weber 22 with SnS, either Fibrament-D or Cordierite. I know how they differ but can't find any guidance on which will provide the best dough/topping cooking balance on my grill using lump charcoal. I'd like to buy a 14" round, but that intrudes a bit over the SnS. Is that a problem? I'd appreciate any input.

Neither. I recommend a Baking Steel.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Me three.

I use GrillGrates on my gasser and that brings the temp up well over 800oF if I am not careful. I'm looking to try a similar method on my kettle.

Comment

Hmmmm. I rejected steel or cast iron because I understood the high temps and heat transfer rate would burn the crust before the toppings were ready. I thought that was the problem with cordierite as well, although less so. Am I wrong or is there a way to address that?

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a Hovergrill with my Lodge cast iron pizza pan with great results. The Hovergrill will get the pizza closer to the top of the lid which cooks the toppings faster because of the higher heat temp.

I use the lodge cast iron pizza pan on that same combo. The edge of the pan overhangs the SNS by a hair but it's easily compensated for by rotating the pan once or twice during cooking, and when the pan is properly pre-heated it makes less of a difference.

Comment

• fkrall
        fkrall commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll check them both out--thanks Craig and Flavorsavor!

I went to a local steel supplier and had them cut a 17"x16"x3/8" (this is for my home oven, too big for a kettle) plate of A36 steel plate for $35, and sand blasted for $10. Had I done it over I would have done 1/4" plate since its for the home oven an 3/8" is very heavy. I'm going to get another one for the kettle and will stick with the 3/8" plate. Get it home and season the same as you would cast iron. There are only 3 negatives in steel vs. stone: 1. Leave it outside and let it get wet and not dry it, it'll rust. Easy to fix though. 2. It's heavy 3. It takes a long time to cool, much longer than a stone. Advantages over stone: 1. It's not going to break 2. Holds heat better. I cooked with stones for years, tried a steel and tossed all of my stones in the garbage. I'll put my pizza up against anyone given the same cooking vessel. I'm not a great cook, but I do a lot of pizza and have my technique down.

In addition, as I said in an earlier thread, learn Bakers Percentage. Then make your dough by weight not volume.

I make a lot of pizza at home, usually twice a week. Cooking pizza is a balance between a perfectly charred bottom vs. perfectly charred top. Getting one of the two is easy, getting both takes some practice.
      Last edited by Missin44; June 9, 2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

If you have a baking stone, throw it out and get a baking steel and learn how to use it. It will make a vastly superior pizza on a grill than a stone ever can. Just my two cents. Good move on using the Hovergrill by Craigar. Then the golden rule, toppings in moderation. Don't load it down or the ones on the bottom won't cook in the short amount of time the bottom crust is cooking.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 9, 2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Add another 2 cents here ... now up to 4 ...

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment

I'm alookin', I'm alookin'. Thanks everyone !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here