Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough Deep Dish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourdough Deep Dish

You heard that right. Decided to try a variant of my standard deep dish using sourdough instead of commercial yeast. Why? Because I can! And because we should never miss an opportunity to add more flavor. So...

Here’s my starter only 3 hours after feeding. Starters tend to go into hyperdrive when fed fresh milled grain like this one was.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	314D9BC8-4D56-429D-BC3F-51B1FF20222C.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	644520

The dough ball. Adding 20% starter after mixing the other ingredients.

Name:	DB0C45C9-87EB-43E8-BAEE-16CD99A8244B.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	644519
    We’re not making bread, so we mix gently using the pincer method and one hand for no more than two minutes. And then into the proofer at 75 degrees for 8 hours.

Name:	57F354E2-0DAC-4797-B066-4824FE365B50.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	644518
    Eight hours later... Click image for larger version

Name:	1ED50B43-0BBD-41AE-B8C1-AD80AA08CED2.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	644521
    Top with my homemade South Side Snausage, which is a near perfect clone of the flavor I grew up with. A sheet covering nearly the entire bottom, then topped with onions. Yes, the snausage is raw. Plenty of time to cook in the oven.

Name:	7EF19604-8875-46EF-9707-C55F29B78957.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	644523
    Ain’t she a beaut?

Name:	DC9D5818-67B1-4661-A557-CFF3BC24C506.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	644524

Name:	60DF6BAC-8B1A-4E71-8044-AA9BFFDD649B.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	644522

Fantastic pie! Wife and I thoroughly enjoyed.

The formula for those who want to give it a go.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 6.02.47 PM.png
Views:	152
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	644530

Note that the oil MUST be corn oil and the starter is 100% hydration. The weights are for a 9” deep dish pan. Bake at 450 for 28 minutes.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      We did one a couple of nights ago, one of our favorite cooks. Thanks for your doh! recipe, we'll give it a go next time.

Wow that looks really good. Assuming you mill your own grain or you have a source to get fresh? My buddy had a grain mill custome built by this guy cost about $800 or something close to it as he makes all kinds of breads and pizza. Looks great

Comment

Wow Pequod , that pie looks wonderful! You inspire me!

Comment

gmascolo51 - I have a MockMill, which costs around $250'ish I think. I feed my sourdough starter a 50/50 mix of ordinary bread flour and fresh milled wheat, which makes it very, very active. I use high percentages of fresh milled grains in breads and they have incredible flavor compared with aged, grocery store whole grains. I also use up to 10% fresh milled in my pizza dough, with the rest being commercial flour. This pizza was made with mostly King Arthur AP flour, some semolina, and the amount of fresh milled grain that would have been in the starter, which would be around 5% of total flour weight.

Name:	IMG_20180907_074148.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	644869

Comment

• gmascolo51
          gmascolo51 commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s great, there really isn’t anything better than quality homemade food. I am sure that pizza was awesome.

I love semolina in my bread. I go 10-20%. It’s my favorite. The King Arthur whole wheat flour isn’t my favorite. Maybe someday I’ll try fresh milled like you.

Comment

• Pequod
          Pequod commented
          Editing a comment
          Grocery store whole wheat flours tend to be a bit bitter, in my opinion. Not good. Fresh milled wheat, on the other hand, is both nutty and sweet. Very flavorful.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't mind the King Arthur Whole Wheat. Of all the store brands I have tried, I like it best. Pequod, where do you buy your whole grains?
          Last edited by Thunder77; March 3, 2019, 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling

• Pequod
          Pequod commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77 - I had been buying at Breadtopia, but the shipping costs are pretty steep for grains. Or you could buy in 25+ lb pails ...still pretty steep, and then you have to store 25 lbs of each grain you want to mill (spelt, rye, Einkorn, soft white wheat, etc.). Recently discovered Palouse brand which has free Prime shipping on Amazon, reasonably priced, smaller quantities, and high quality grains: https://smile.amazon.com/Non-GMO-Pro...1PEZLCM/ref=sr

Do you deliver? 👍👍👍. 🕶

Comment

Pequod, this is the machine my friend bought:

Attached Files

Comment

One question: Why must it be corn oil?

Comment

• Pequod
            Pequod commented
            Editing a comment
            My guess is it is more historical than anything else. My mother used nothing but Mazola back in the day. I’m with you on the health aspects. This is the only recipe in which I use corn oil. Butter or ghee might be an interesting alternative to try.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm thinking leaf lard, but that's largely because I have a jar of this special stuff.

• Pequod
            Pequod commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes sense. When making biscuits (which a good classic Chicago deep dish crust is), butter or lard are the way to go.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here