Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! A lot to chew on here. And this morning I WAS going to cook a pizza. Silly me. At this stage I don’t have a clew what style I want except I want it similar to the one from Angelo’s right down the road. Far and away the best I’ve had. But I haven’t exactly been around the world trying out pizza joints. I’ll take my time and try to do it "right" as I can on my first go. I may need to by an Egg first 😏.

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Looked up Angelo's to see what type of pizza they do. From the pictures on Yelp, I think you'd be happy pursuing a NY Style pizza. My advice would be to start here: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...zza-dough.html

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      @Peqoud Thanks for going the extra mile. Much appreciated!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm no expert but I have used the Serious Eats Dough several times. It's very good!

There is no right just what you like and works for you. Pound out some dough, sling some sauce, top it and let go.

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Trial and error and you get to eat the mistakes. As a friend of mine once said, when it’s good it’s REALLY good, and when it’s bad it’s still pretty good!

Thunder77 -- My formulae for 24 hour NY Style Sourdough below. The weights are for a single 13" pie. The starter is a 100% hydration starter. For the flour I typically use 90% All Trump's unbromated and 10% fresh milled hard red wheat, but you can do 100% regular flour if you want. L-DMP is low diastatic malt powder (20 lintner). If using DMP, make sure you know whether it is low DMP or regular and adjust according to the lintner rating (60 lintner means use 1/3 that called for below).

If fermenting at 70F:
    Dough Formula: Baker's % Weight (g)
    Flour % 100.00% 173.41
    Water % 65.00% 112.71
    Oil % 1.00% 1.73
    Salt % 2.50% 4.34
    L-DMP % 1.00% 1.73
    DMP % 0.00% 0.00
    Sugar % 1.00% 1.73
    ADY % 0.00% 0.00
    Starter % 3.00% 5.20
    If fermenting at 65F:
    Dough Formula: Baker's % Weight (g)
    Flour % 100.00% 171.59
    Water % 63.00% 108.10
    Oil % 1.00% 1.72
    Salt % 2.50% 4.29
    L-DMP % 1.00% 1.72
    DMP % 0.00% 0.00
    Sugar % 1.00% 1.72
    ADY % 0.00% 0.00
    Starter % 10.00% 17.16

Workflow:

1) Combine flour, malt, and sugar in the mixing bowl. Whisk it for a few seconds to "sift".

2) Add the water (I use room temp tap water) and starter.

3) Using a Kitchenaid with dough hook, use speed 1 to bring it together.

4) Autolyse in bowl for 20 minutes.

5) Add the salt and mix for about a minute.

6) Pull dough off the hook and add the oil.

7) Knead at speed 1 or 2 for 5-6 minutes until the dough looks smooth and tacky, but doesn't stick to your fingers.

8) Shape the dough into a ball on the counter, place it in an oiled container and let it do its thing for 24 hours.

I should note that due to the sugar, oil, and DMP, bake temps should not exceed 650'ish lest you generate too much carbon. I do this in my Blackstone -- takes about 3 minutes to bake.

One more edit: My sourdough quantities above are based on the Sourdough Starter Quantity Predictive Model at pizzamaking.com, which I find to be pretty accurate.
    Last edited by Pequod; February 25, 2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I am going to try this.

Great Information. Thank you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here