Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

burned the pizza!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burned the pizza!

I just attempted my first pizza cook on the Kamado joe. There have to be some things here I needed to do differently. I used my 14 in lodge ci pizza stone. I confess to using pizza doe from a can like biscuits come in. I preheated to 540, that is where I got it completely stable. In one of bread heads old post he mentioned putting parchment paper under his pizzas, I did that also. I try to read everything I can here before I attempt to cook something new. I had read that 7 minutes should be about right, that's what I did. In the end the pizza looked perfect from the top, but was totally black on the bottom. Lower temp? Less time? Any help would be appreciated.

your corespondence school pit-master.

Lynn

Pics?

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll attempt it very soon.

Was your temp measured by a laser temp gun at the stone surface or, thermometer in the dome? sounds like maybe your stone was too hot.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      It was dome temp. I have an infrared temp gun, should have used it. Thank you.

When I do pizzas with the Kettle Pizza accessory I preheat the stone in the oven at 550 for an hour and then transfer it onto the grate. Cooking temps will be in the 600-750 range. Maybe it was the dough? I've only ever used homemade dough when cooking on the kettle. I'm wondering if the dough that comes in the can maybe has a lower water content and that caused it to burn? Some party stores that make their own pizzas and sell it will also sell dough.

Comment

I also suspect the dough. Does your local grocery sell dough balls? Or maybe a local pizza place will sell you a dough ball.

What did the directions on the can say? Obviously the ci stone was too hot. If you try this again, try to raise the stone higher in the cooker's dome, or just cook for two or three minutes on the stone and then put it on a grate above the stone.

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Pizza stones rise in temps at a pretty slow rate. This is why I preheat mine in the oven. A few pies in the Kettle Pizza at higher temps - it won't increase in temperature enough to burn the bottom of the dough. I also put a decent amount of cornmeal on the peel which makes it easier to slide the pie onto the stone but also provides a bit of extra protection from over-cooking.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        JeffJ - I also preheat my steel in the oven , but it's to save charcoal. The OP is using a cast iron "stone", so that should change temp quicker that ceramic.

I’ve had the same problem using a baking steel on the grill.

Somewhere on this site it is explained that quarry/ceramic stone is better than a metal stone on a grill because the metal conducts heat into the dough too fast at these very high temperatures.

Conversely, a CI/steel "stone" works fantastic indoors around 500F.

I havent done side by side testing myself, but it seems like a reasonable hypothesis to try.

Comment

I think it is due to the cast iron "stone". It gets real hot, way too fast. The burn is inevitable. Pizzas needs to be cooked "from the top" primarily. The toppings/cheese/veggies need a lot more time than the dough. I've done a Youtube video on how to cook pizzas on the kettle, but unfortunately it is in Swedish. Either way, here are two suggestions, try one of them:

1. Get a Fredstone (ceramic stone). It specifically doesn't get too hot underneath the pizza, making sure the top gets cooked 'first'.
        2. Don't preheat the cast iron stone as much. Just get it up to 200-250° F. It will rise in temp quite quickly anyway once you put the pie on and close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out, keep trying because pizzas on the grill are so good!

PS it should be said that due to your stone being cast iron (and therefore getting very hot) you will only be able to cook 1 or 2 pizzas at the most before it is too hot to use, even if you start out with a 'colder' stone. So if possible I would recommend the fredstone. DS

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and, as Polarbear777 says: the CI stone works better indoors where the heat transfer happens slower. The direct heat radiation from the wood/charcoal heats it up too fast. In the indoor oven the indirect heat transfer (via air) takes longer.

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          The new ceramic stone is on the way. I'll go back to using the ci one for blackening ribeyes. At that it is the perfect tool.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Good call. And I'm glad the CI stone gets used. It should be excellent at blackening ribeyes!

Canned dough.

Its not meant to go that hot or be rolled thin. Gotta read the directions on the can, then adjust for grill cooking. If it says 450*, gotta keep the grill around there.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          It was not a well thought out choice, I will make my own at home next time. I think there are several recipes on AR.

• Fire Art
          Fire Art commented
          Editing a comment
          The art of reading directions has never been a strong suit of mine.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto, FireArt. It’s a skill I’ve built with age and being on the other end of the customer service line.

I would start with the dough. Homemade is pretty easy and way better. You'll have to do a little more preplanning, but there's lots of resources on the web. I've cooked with both a stone and a steel with equally good results, however, you have to make adjustments specific to your grill and conditions. The beauty of making your own dough is that, with practice, you can adjust the hydration level to help achieve your desired results. Keep plugging away at it, it'll come to you. A couple of great books on the subject are Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast and The Elements of Pizza, both by Ken Forkish. He not only has great, easy to follow recipes, but he explains a lot of the hows and whys.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; January 26, 2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I'll get them. I love to read at night. My how to cook library is getting pretty large. I started years ago with the 1975 edition of the Joy of Cooking. It even shows how to skin a squirrel!

I'd also strongly recommend getting a copy of Ken Forkish's "Elements of Pizza". The "science" and dough recipe parts of the book are invaluable, the pizza recipes themselves are just icing on an already great cake. Do note that his doughs are designed for baking at 550°F.

Peter Reinhart has also written a pizza book, but it falls short of Forkish's IMO. BTW, I am a fan of Reinhart, especially "Bread Baker's Apprentice".

Comment

I use a ceramic stone on a large BGE, and find the dome temp registers 50-100 degrees lower than the stone at grill level. I'd also consider the amount of olive oil and sugar in the dough. More of either means the Maillard reaction happens at a lower temperature. My best results have been with a neopolitan style dough with 1 tsp of oil, no sugar, and a dome temp of about 500.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Great points about the sugar.

Looks like there is enough great pointers above that you will be a pizzaiolo in no time, enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here