Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Style Pizza Pan Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detroit Style Pizza Pan Question

Is there any good reason, other than tradition, that a Detroit style pizza couldn't be made in a Chicago deep dish pizza pan?

You probably would not be welcome in either Chicago or Detroit.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers. Like a day without sunshine!

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      A dog without ketchup is a blessing from a deity.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      @potkettleblack

Deities always have goofy food rules.

There are places in Chicago like Pequods and Burt's Place are probably closer to Detroit style than Chicago style and they use round pans. I just got a round pan for Christmas and have been looking forward to trying a Detroit style pie in it. I have been trying to get my hands on some Wisconsin Brick Cheese but so far I haven't found any local markets who can get it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I just ordered a.....uh.....brick of Brick from these guys, should be here next week: https://www.wisconsincheeseman.com/p...=brick#start=1

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I have looked at ordering from them. I have one last place here that is talking to their supplier to see if they can get some in. Just too much of a cheapskate to pay for shipping if I don't have to.

I moved out of Detroit about 40 years ago. For the life of me I can't remember any Detroit style pizza. Is that a relatively new thing, or is the amount of beer I have drank over those 40 years catching up with me? Or maybe since I lived in Detroit, we just called it pizza.

My favorite used to be Greg's on Livernois.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      He's talking about Buddy's Pizza.

I'm going to try my first Motor City Pie in CI. I'll let you know if I'm instantly struck down by lightning.

Comment

I have made the Detroit style in my Chicago deep dish a time or two. As long as you get the cheese out heavy on the edges you will be good. It does indeed come out better in my auto pan though. The true pans are just a tad thinner than your Chicago pan, and being square REALLY allows that cheese to burn in the corners. Dang delish though in either case.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Being made of blue steel helps with the browning of the fricco crust as well.

One of the things that distinguished a "Detroit Style " pizza was the pan. They were old used automotive pans for something or another & were used by Buddy’s in the 40’s. Cloverleaf was a partner & broke off & did his own thing, using the same pan, as did Louie’s in Hazel Park. I moved from Detroit 30 years ago, there at the time it was just pizza. The pan led to the crust thing. I would think it may be achieved in a different shaped pan, but it better have the crust & make up of the original. 🕶

Fer all you inexperienced ones out there it wasn’t the same pan, but the same styled pan. Otherwise each one could only make one pizza a night and............ we’ll ya get the picture.
      Last edited by FireMan; January 24, 2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Glad you do not spend all of your time on the rotisserie channel.

I hope the missus is doing well!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        INow that’s an idea, a Detroit Style Pizza channel. What da yuh think Huskee?
        Gettin better, little by little.

I absolutely love Little Caesar's Deep Dish, and I imagine from your descrition a real DS is like that but of course "better", right? Those LCDDs have crunchy browned cheese crusts that are crispy buttery delightfulness.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        way better, sauce in stripes on top though. it's my favorite

I am guessing the pan gives Detroit style pizza its characeristic crispy, extra thick, crust. But, really, I have no idea. That would be my guess.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here