Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making myself a pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the simplicity of your oven. Great Job!!

Did you use refractory cement in your mortar mix?

Does not having a chimney cause a problem?

Building an outdoor oven has been on my to do list for some years now. In the spring am going to do something similar.

Great Job again.

Troy

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      If you built it while you have something cooking, you'll be done in 2.5 days. I'm counting Friday through Sunday with you getting up at 0430 on Saturday and Sunday too.

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Layout, materials, manpower, space, I have them all Time is the hard part I can do it.

• jrobertson50
      jrobertson50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for the late response. I didn't use refractory cement. I went cheap. basic stuff. i didn't build it to last a decade. just a couple years. Didn't want to spend more than 200. came in at 150. I put a small chimney opening up front. it was enough to be efficient and caused no issues. the oven works great. and the pizza was tasty. I would say go for it. use whatever you have laying around. takes a couple days to build, then a week to dry. then a week of small curing fires. But it was worth it. On Vday i lit it up took about 1.5 hours to clear all the soot (meaning its well over 1k degrees F all around) and cooked a ton of pizzas.

UPDATED WITH PIZZA PICTURES> check out the bottom of the post. http://jrobertson50.blogspot.com/201...izza-oven.html

and Jerod, if this doesn't earn me a badge of approval i give up

Comment

JR it looks great and you can really be proud of yourself in that you constructed your own oven and........made some great looking pies.

Comment

This looks terrific! I don't know anything about bricks, but do you know if you will you need to cover the external surfaces of the brick with something to waterproof them? I'm assuming that's one of the reasons you see commercial brick ovens covered with something that looks like plaster.

Comment

• Guy
          Guy commented
          Editing a comment
          My first trade was as a brick layer. I can tell you that bricks are a lot more absorbent now than they used to be. Not sure is this is due to less clay and more filler of some sort or what. We have had started to have to seal up chimneys due to water leaks from long heavy rains. Back in the day we never had that problem. Just my two cents.

• jrobertson50
          jrobertson50 commented
          Editing a comment
          the plaster outside most ovens is a mix of viticulture and Portland cement. This is applied in a 2" or so layer and provides for a ton of insulation. More than water proofing I may cover it with a tarp or something. but i live in Vegas so i am not to concerned about water.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here