Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making myself a pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making myself a pizza oven

Take a look. http://jrobertson50.blogspot.com/201...izza-oven.html its a continuing process. but its getting there. Can't wait to smoke some chicken or brisket in my drum and then put it on a pizza.

This is AWESOME.

Comment

haha, thank you. I hope to get a pizza made in after a few more curing burns.

Comment

I love thermal mass ovens, etc. They are cheap to build and very effective. Wether the material is brick, clay or other, they cook excellent food. We are blessed/cursed with a great deal of clay in my part of Alaska. It sucks for gardening, but excels for building heat proof things like ovens, kilns, and so forth. These methods also make superb cooking burners like rocket stoves, traditional kamado burners, etc. Your post brings out the permeculturist in me. There is so much satisfaction in building and using your own stuff. Great post!

Comment

so does that mean we get to see you make one soon? If i had abundant clay i would totally of made this differently.

Comment

We are starting our house build this spring. Along with this build will be an outdoor cooking area. Yes, when I build my mad scientist chef's lab, I'll post pics.

Comment

i would love to do a full outdoor cooking area. I want to combine the pizza oven, grill and UDS into one island somehow.

Comment

• Strat50
                Strat50 commented
                Editing a comment
                That is similar to what we want too. An oven, kamado burner(s), and kamado smoker/grill. The challenge is to keep myself out of the weather and ventilation. The property is decent size(1.75 acres), so a site will be no problem. There is no zoning at this time, so I can pretty much do as I please.

• jrobertson50
                jrobertson50 commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotta love that. I have no clue how to do it all together.

JR, that is so freakin' cool! My love of outdoor cooking has made me really wish I was more handy.

Comment

Got to tell you. i had no clue what i was doing. just took my time over a few weeks. Anyone can do this

Comment

No clue, whatever, let me get a go at this and you will see what NO CLUE really is. Nice job!!!!

Comment

well if you ever want to try yourself. let me know ill be glad to give my two cents. i certainly learned a ton doing it.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is there a reason you didn't put a flue/chimney in the back of the oven where the fire goes?

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Will do, dats fo sho!!!

• jrobertson50
                      jrobertson50 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, when you use this sort of oven it relys on convection. cold air pullled in from the front of the oven and hot exhaust at the top of the entrance. the flue at the top of the entrance allows it to not hit you in the face. If it were in teh back the heat would get pulled out the oven and not saturate it like it needs.

I have to hand it to you for your DIY initiative. I went out and bought a Mugniani and had it built in. I'm all thumbs when it comes to this stuff. But I do love my oven! The deck runs about 650 +- and the walls are a bit hotter. The trick is to start the fire on one side, preheat and move it to the other side to preheat the whole oven and get an even cook. You'll love yours - I've made everything from pizza to leg of lamb, osso bucco and roast chicken in it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	60339

Comment

• jrobertson50
                      jrobertson50 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's awesome. Can't wait to use mine on saturday

Amazing! Can't wait to see the pizza you pull from your new oven.

Comment

• jrobertson50
                      jrobertson50 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i can't wait to try one lol

Great build!! It looks like you had a lot of fun doing it also. Was there a particular book that gave you most of your info or was it bits and pieces from the net and other places.

Comment

• jrobertson50
                      jrobertson50 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      no book. just pictures online of others ovens

I'm impressed with folks who can tackle masonry projects. I've been scouring the net for some plans for a brick smoker pit but am having trouble finding simple plans that are at my skill level! I'd basically like a brick offset (like the ones they use in Texas pictured below) but instead of brick I was going to pour some refractory cement molds or use cinder blocks and then line them with fire bricks. Can't find a reliable design though for backyard use.

Comment

• jrobertson50
                      jrobertson50 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      thats a tough one. could be cool to do though. I would just use a ton of clay bricks. the temps won't be very high so you don't have to worry much about refractory mateirials. hell my oven will do 1000 degree cooking and i didn't use them lol.

• smarkley
                      smarkley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      there is definitely a hole for an easy to build design that works.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here