Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Shot at Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Shot at Pizza

Hi I've had the Egg for years but haven't tried pizza on it. Well that ended last night. We had a fun time making the pies. My 5 yo son had a blast "spinning" the dough. Cooked at 600 degrees. It came out pretty good but the bottom was slightly burned before the top browned? Was it too hot? I used Whole Foods premade dough. It really rised (sp?) I was surprised how thick the crust was even though we really stretched it out (except my son who just made a lumpy pile...lol). Overall flavor was great but it was a little over done on bottom and under done on top. Any advice? Could it be the dough? It said to cook at 450 in the oven but I thought hotter is better. Thanks!

Attached Files

Your pizza maker has panache! đź‘Ť

Comment

Those are good looking pizzas. The premade dough might have been produced for lower cooking temperatures, but you can easily make your own that will work even better at higher temps. Serious Eats and the New York Times food section have some good recipes. I also recommend Ken Forkish’s "Elements of Pizza" book in which he has many good recipes for dough suitable for the 500-600 degree range.

Comment

I do pizza on our ceramic grill at temps anywhere from 500-650F for 6-8 minutes without issue. I set up the grill for indirect zone cooking and heat soak my pizza stone when I light the grill. Different dough recipes made no difference. Go luck with your next attempt.

Comment

It's always fun when the kids want to help.

If your pies are burning on the bottom, you need to raise the pie off the stone before that happens. You could either put a pizza screen under the pie when the bottom is brown, or use a raised shelf to move the pie higher in the dome once the bottom is right. It might take a few tries to get the timing right.

Comment

They look great and fun to make!

Comment

I use the plate setter under the grid, followed by a grid extender to get higher into the dome, then the stone. Preheat the stone, but cover it loosely with foil. Then yank out the foil as you are about to put the pie on it. All of this helps equalize the top and bottom heat. Keep your toppings light. Precook any that take a while to cook to where you want them. All of the advice above is good!

And then there's the Internuts Encyclopedia of Pizza: https://www.pizzamaking.com/

Comment

Looked good, I am sure it still tasted great! I am actually trying pizza for my first time on my Primo so wish me luck, lol.

Comment

Try a setup like this-

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-06 16.14.42.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	600327

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That would work!

You've got some great advice above, and it just takes a couple times to figure things out. Dough and toppings thickness are significant variables that affect the cook. Try to keep those two constants until you get consistent results, then changing things up will be easier.

Comment

My italia gets up over 1,200°. But i onlu use it that hot for NY style or italuan style crusts. The rest get 400-600°. Took me almost a year to turn out decent pies, but they have gotten markedly better with practice. Sunday I will be making a Detroit style at my kids request. Maybe try adding the pizza at a cooler temperature, and then increasing. Tgat way the stone which is actually cooking from conduction is cooler, and the radient heat is higher. Try moving that number around until the top and bottom finish close together. In my oven, i can raise the puzza on the peel to the top to brown the cheese if the crust finishes first.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. They did taste great. Just uneven with the bottoms cooking faster. My setup was plate setter feet up with the grill then the Stone on top of that. Stone was just higher then the felt.

I will try raising with bricks next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
                        It came out pretty good but the bottom was slightly burned before the top browned? Was it too hot? I used Whole Foods premade dough. It really rised (sp?) I was surprised how thick the crust was even though we really stretched it out (except my son who just made a lumpy pile...lol). Overall flavor was great but it was a little over done on bottom and under done on top. Any advice? Could it be the dough?
                        Raichlen's Barbecue Bible from 20 years ago has a great basic dough recipe. Here's a link to an almost identical one — the combination of white cornmeal and whole wheat flour makes for wonderfully unique crust texture and flavor. Plus it's designed from the outset for the grill. The extra dough stores well in the freezer.

For toppings I would cut whole tomatoes in leghtwise slices, season with Kosher salt, brush with olive oil and chargrill them. Add pepper to season, Fontina and romano cheese rounds it out along with the addition of fresh basil. The simple ingredients allowed the crust to stand out. I always made it on my Weber gassers. Never had anything like it anywhere in the world.

Comment

• N227GB
                          N227GB commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I tested the link I posted and get a "database error." The blog author wants to share seeing all the social media buttons on the page, so I don't think something is preventing linkbacks. I'll look into this again tomorrow.

• N227GB
                          N227GB commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Link is working now.

Smoked BBQ Chicken Pizza on Primo
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Old Glory
                          Old Glory commented
                          Editing a comment
                          WOW looks amazing!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here