Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza Heat Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza Heat Source

I have slowly accumulated the items necessary to try my hand at grilled pizza. I think I have my bases covered: pizza stone, metal pizza peel, Thermoworks IR gun and pizza cutter. As a result of MCS, my question is which heat source should I try first?

Weber Spirit 3 Burner gasser

PK360

Rec Tec Trailblazer

Weber 22 inch kettle

Currently I am thinking that given the convection effect, the Rec Tec might be first up.

I’d also look at your own inside oven. We make great pizza in our oven set at 550 ala Ken Forkish and his "Elements of Pizza"

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Ken is my go to for all things baking.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with Donw 100%. Forkish is the man. READ the book, especially the first half (the "science" part). Check out his dough recipes for doughs that fit your daily/weekly schedule and start making pizzas. The pizza topping recipes that are the latter part of the book are fine, but once you've got it down, you can do your own toppings.

• Spacecase
      Spacecase commented
      Editing a comment
      I have seen Ken’s book mentioned a few times. Just ordered a copy from Amazon. Thanks.

I've made great pizza on a Weber kettle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170805_195525.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	597373
    Last edited by Attjack; November 25, 2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Spacecase
      Spacecase commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks better than anything made in a restaurant.

A kettle will give you a really nice smokey flavor.

Comment

Kettle.

Comment

Weber Kettle with Pizza Que Kit. Works awesome!

Comment

Someone gave me a pizzaque. The pizza I posted above was made without one. But now I use the que when I'm at the cabin. Here's a pizzaque pie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_201609.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	597404

Comment

ugh....this just reinforces my pizza inadequacies

Comment

• xaugievike
              xaugievike commented
              Editing a comment
              "elements of pizza" is the book?

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              xaugievike Yep! Great book.

• xaugievike
              xaugievike commented
              Editing a comment
              ordered, thank you for the recommendation...im gonna conquer this mountain!

PK 360 or kettle. Kettle is the more economical option, but if you have the budget and/or want a PK 360 anyway then there you go.

Having done pizza in my Primo I am sold on wood fired pizza. It’s simply the way to go. I like going to my favorite pizza place in Miami (FRANKIES, same location and daily owned since forever - which for Miami means over 50 years ago) and ordering a "half baked". Then I finish it in the Primo. It’s just.......wonderful. I have also bought pizza dough from the supermarket and gone from there. In fact.....I neee dinner today! So that’s it. Gonna do pizza. Or burgers. Pizza later because burgers go better with thanksgiving sides leftovers.

Pellet cookers have a hard time getting to the temperatures a charcoal fired machine can achieve. My Primo will go well over 600 no problem.

IDEALLY you would get a wood fired pizza oven. One of those brick igloo looking things that weighs more than your car. Italians have been using them since antiquity, so they are defiantly on to something there. I would have one except money and not really any room in my yard. But mostly money. I could find the room even if that meant annexing part of the neighbors yard.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
              SmokeyGator commented
              Editing a comment
              I would like a smaller one. Maybe 19 inches across. Dome doesn’t need to be high either. Big enough for one pizza at a time. It wouldn’t take hours to heat up.

• Pfunk1977
              Pfunk1977 commented
              Editing a comment
              How do you like your Primo? I just bought the Primo Kamado All In One...stoked to get cooking on it! Any advice?

• SmokeyGator
              SmokeyGator commented
              Editing a comment
              Pfunk1977 make sure you have the heat deflector. You need that accessory. Other than that there is a ton of great stuff in the sticky posts in the pit kamado sub-forum. I’m happy with my purchase. I wanted something that could do low and slow or searing hot and everything between. Enjoy yours when it arrives! The more you use it the easier it gets to cook on it.

I would suggest the PK 360 or the Weber as well. My go to is my Vision Kamado. Takes about 40 minutes to heat up to 600-650 degrees. Heat soak your pizza stone when you lite the grill. Prep your pizza’s while coming up to desired cook temp. Place pizza on stone check after 6-8 minutes. Results are always a hit. Most requested pizza at our place Pulled Pork Pizza. You got this.
            Last edited by WVsmoke; November 27, 2018, 06:25 PM. Reason: Correction: Cooker of choice is a Vision Series B Kam

Comment

Thanks to all for the feedback. Looks like the kettle will be the pizza testbed. I also ordered a copy of Ken Forkish’s book. I will try to post photos of my successes and failures.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
                SmokeyGator commented
                Editing a comment
                Great choice. You will get great results.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here