Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did my first pizza last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did my first pizza last night

Last night was my first attempt at pizza on my Weber OTG.

- I did not plan properly so I bought dough from the deli
    - I used a pizza stone on the OTG with a full chimney of lit briqs
    - I was able to get temps between 350-375 on the stone (measured by my Maverick ET-733)

I made two pizzas - both based off of Meathead's Margherita recipe. The first (which I did not take pictures of) I charred the bottom as the top was getting browned a bit. The second (pictured) I added some shaved prosciutto and parmesan on top of the cheese - did not cook this one as much but still got a bit well-done towards the center.

Both tasted good (other than the burnt crust on the first one and got a thumbs-up from my wife)

Next time I will make my own dough as I had some difficulty working with the store bought stuff, not sure how to set up the grill so that I can get some crispness on the crust without burning the bottom to a crisp.

3750F should be just fine as far as temp goes. When I make my pizza I try to keep the temps around 4000 so 250 on either side of that shouldn't make much difference. Were you checking it frequently? That is were you lifting the lid a lot? I would expect to see more browning on top at those temps is the reason I'm asking.

Comment

• Moscuba
      Moscuba commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Mike,

It's easy, yes? Make your own dough and find a recipe that calls for malt sugar. It can be found at home brewer supply stores and a small can will last a long time in the fridge. Buy the fermentable kind. Most recipes make enough for 3 pizzas. I double it and got 6. Freeze them in baggies and you'll not have to go to the store again or want to go. Hint: use a stand mixer if you have it and mix a wet feeling dough. With flour coated hands move the dough to a wood board with extra flour on the side. Now use you hands to incorporate the flour by kneading. Takes maybe five minutes. Once you get the feeling of how the dough should be you will never forget.

I make 4-5 pizzas on the grill (or oven) a week because they are all different and it's so fast easy and low clean-up.

Cheers!

Scoobs

I have done pizza on my 22.5" Weber several times using the all purpose no knead dough recipe. I let the dough proof for over 24 hours. I push the coals up against the side of the grill and rotate it every 7 min. a quarter turn and the crust is very crispy. I also use whole wheat flour.

Comment

Originally posted by FLBuckeye View Post
      I have done pizza on my 22.5" Weber several times using the all purpose no knead dough recipe. I let the dough proof for over 24 hours. I push the coals up against the side of the grill and rotate it every 7 min. a quarter turn and the crust is very crispy. I also use whole wheat flour.
      Nex time I will put the coals to the side, I had a full chimney of lit coals spread directly under the stone...guess I am lucky I did not crack the stone.

Comment

I've used a stone and a cast iron pizza pan on my weber 22.5 performer, and have good results using about 2/3 chimney directly underneath the pan. If I control the grill temp between 400 and 450 and let the stone/pan preheat for ~20 minutes, I can get a thin crust crisp on the bottom without too much browning, melted and slightly browned ingredients in about 8 minutes. For me the keys are pre-heating the pan with the grill, not overloading the corn meal on the bottom (so it doesn't turn to burnt crust), and keeping the lid shut to let the toppings get magically delicious. It also saves me from losing heat if I opened the lid to rotate the pizza. Oh and tossing on a chunk of pecan wood with the pizza. Anyway, there are many ways to make a delicious grill pizza, but this process has served me well.

Comment

Using a high hydration dough will yield a more workable dough that will crisp and cook better. I have the pizza kettle with the deflector on top and use wood in the rear. I cook around 850 - 900 with a 62% water based dough. Cook time is about 90 seconds and nice leopard crust with golden brown toppings. I will document a cook with pics this weekend

Comment

90 seconds.....holy smoke, I mean heat!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmeier64 View Post
              I cook around 850 - 900 with a 62% water based dough. Cook time is about 90 seconds and nice leopard crust with golden brown toppings. I will document a cook with pics this weekend
              I could never get that in my offset cook chamber. Only right above the fire. I need a Primo XL.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here