Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The physics of perfect pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The physics of perfect pizza

Enjoy!

Researchers have worked out why pizzas cooked in electric ovens never taste quite right. Phil Dooley reports.

Very interestin article, amigo!
    Many thanks fer sharin!

Comment

Interesting. I'd love to know more, and see what variables can be controlled to get closer to the wood oven.

Comment

I thought this article came from cosmopolitan until I clicked through. 😂

Comment

Good read Mosca. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Thanx Mosca.

Comment

I’ll tell ya one thing, I’m sure gonna appreciate my cowboy coffee over Liquid S———.
              Last edited by FireMan; July 6, 2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Cooking pizza indoors I can verify those results.
                I’ve seen kettle kits etc but those don’t explain how they can increase the radiant heat from the top.

Has has anyone demonstrated proper temp and correct top/bottom pizza on a kettle? How about a summit charcoal grill?

Seems like a decent kamado or dedicated pizza rig is the only way to do this.

Comment

• putuguk
                  putuguk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm gonna test out a couple of digiornos this afternoon on my weber with a pizza stone. If the top doesn't get brown enough I'm gonna use my mapp torch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.PNG
Views:	127
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	528206 I don't really care for wood fired oven pizza. To me it always tastes burnt. I know some people like the taste of the crust with a touch of char but not me. I'll chose one of these any day over a wood fired oven pizza.

Comment

• Fire Art
                  Fire Art commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m a big no char guy my self

I love pepperoni, thin crust or thick, extra pepperoni, some mushrooms, NO stuff crust, can take some meat lover's... Pizza Hut ALL DAY ERR DAY.

Some deep [dish?] stuff in that article!

Comment

French cafes make terrible coffee.

I use a pizza steel in an electric oven preheated to 230 C., but use the broiler setting to cook the top. That's a good balance between heat transfer at the bottom and the top.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s how I do it also. Would love a sure fire way to do it outside, but short or a kamado or specialized rig I don’t see that happening.

What about the Blackstone outdoor pizza oven? I've been thinking about one of those... it fires a flame up under the dome to blast down over the top. It's not wood-fired, but I wonder how good it really is. Can't be worse than doing it in the oven, right?

Anyone use one and got some thoughts on the matter?

Oh, and I am a big wood-fired brick-oven pizza lover. I love me some crispy, thin, slightly charred crust, with those crispy bits on top. I watch Guy Fieri go to some of these places and think that I need to plan a vacation specifically just to visit that shop! lol

Now, the pizza in Italy... that was quite an experience. lol. Did you know they don't actually have pepperoni there, and haven't got a clue what you're talking about if you try to explain it??? Wow. Still awesome, though!

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A lot of people on BBQ Brethren have the Blackstone, and are happy with it. The pics of the results look good to me, better than an indoor oven. The Uuni pro is quad-fuel: pellet, gas, charcoal, or wood. Most folks will start some lump to make a temperature base, then add small splits to bring it up into Neapolitan territory. Works well, and big enough to do steaks and other foods at high temps.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here