Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first time pizza!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time pizza!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180611_183728.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	515016Click image for larger version

Name:	20180611_185745.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	515017Click image for larger version

Name:	20180611_184640.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	515018
    First time making pizza dough from scratch.
    I just did simple pepperoni and cheese w/ onion for a first run, also made in oven just to get a feel for how they cooked.
    Followed MeatHeads recipe and I am super excited to do these on the weber kettle, the crust is just what I wanted!
    I split the dough into 4 pieces, I had a lot of trouble getting the dough how I wanted by hand so I ended up using a roller ,
    I don't have a stone or peel which turned out to be a problem not having a peel or half cookie sheet! The first one I made ended waded up in the trash trying to slide it in oven lol.
    but by the 4th run it turned out really good and am happy with results. These made a great dinner for us.
    I'm looking forward to making some with fancier toppings on the weber really soon.

anyone with any tips on the process they use would be appreciated, also can anyone recommend a good stone and peel?
    Is anyone finding an infrared gun worth it?

thanks and happy eating!!!

Looks great. I am not much of a pizza guy, but we have quite a few folks that are well versed in the art. Skip would be good place to start. He is a great pizza baker. I know, he has fed me more than once! ​

As for the IR thermo, get one. They are fun to use and they certainly serve a purpose. Whether you are checking the temp of your pizza stone. (Which you should get.) Or your cast iron griddle/pan. There is no doubt that they are useful.

Comment

thanks Spinaker , that is another question I had, does a pizza stone turn out a better product then a baking pan?
      also what else can you use a stone for?

Comment

Make on parchment paper if no stone and in the oven

Comment

Good job on that pizza marshall . Checkout The Ceramic Grill Store for a Pizza Stone. Theirs are thicker than many others so they take the heat.There are several good crust recipes, just pick a couple and keep practicing with them. Get a Heat Gun too. You will like knowing the actual temp of your stone.https://ceramicgrillstore.com/search...roduct&q=pizza

Comment

Originally posted by marshall View Post
            thanks Spinaker , that is another question I had, does a pizza stone turn out a better product then a baking pan?
            also what else can you use a stone for?
            Before investing in a stone, have a look at pizza steels instead. We've given up all stone use in favor of the steel. Not only does it do a better job than a stone, but it won't break if you drop it ... but your toes will so be careful ...

Bake the perfect homemade pizza with a Baking Steel product: a pizza stone made of ultra-conductive steel, our Baking Steel Griddles and pizza making accessories for home.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I've only used stones, but I find the arguments for steels pretty convincing.

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m with you on this. We haven’t used a stone since our first pizza on steel.

• YIELD:makes enough dough for three 12-inch pies
            • ACTIVE TIME:30 minutes
            • TOTAL TIME:24 hours
            • RATED:
            Ingredients
            • 22.5 ounces (about 4 1/2 cups) bread flour, plus more for dusting
            • .5 ounces (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) sugar
            • .35 ounces kosher salt (about 1 tablespoon)
            • .35 ounces (about 2 teaspoons) instant yeast
            • 1.125 ounces Extra Virgin olive oil (about 3 tablespoons)
            • 15 ounces lukewarm water
            Directions
            1. 1.

Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in bowl of food processor. Pulse 3 to 4 times until incorporated. Add olive oil and water. Run food processor until mixture forms ball that rides around the bowl above the blade, about 15 seconds. Continue processing 15 seconds longer.
            2. 2.

Transfer dough ball to lightly floured surface and knead once or twice by hand until smooth ball is formed. It should pass the windowpane test. Divide dough into three even parts and place each in a covered quart-sized deli container or in a zipper-lock freezer bag. Place in refrigerator and allow to rise at least 1 day, and up to 5. Remove from refrigerator, shape into balls, and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours before baking.
            Special Equipment

food processor This Recipe Appears In

The Pizza Lab: Three Doughs to KnowTop This: The Quadruple Chili ThreatThe Food Lab: 11 Essential Tips for Better Pizza J. KENJI LÓPEZ-ALT CHIEF CULINARY ADVISOR
            J. Kenji López-Alt is the Chief Culinary Advisor of Serious Eats, and author of the James Beard Award-nominated column The Food Lab, where he unravels the science of home cooking. A restaurant-trained chef and former Editor at Cook's Illustrated magazine, his first book, The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science is a New York Times Best-Seller, the recipient of a James Beard Award, and was named Cookbook of the Year in 2015 by the International Association of Culinary Professionals.

Comment

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a good recipe to use. It makes quite a bit of dough that you can store in the frig or freezer. After you are at it awhile you can try some 00 Flour Recipes for very high heat. All are good and fun to try. Good luck and have fun!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Skip, you are spot on! I use this recipe every time I make pizza dough. It is so easy, and sooo good!

• Flying Fur
              Flying Fur commented
              Editing a comment
              Skip, what type of flour do you use? Being a pizza snob from way back, I find getting higher protein flour, e.g. Pendleton's Power Flour, General Mills' All Trumps Flour, King Arthur's Sir Lancelot, etc., to be increasingly difficult to purchase locally. Many are sold locally but only to restaurants not consumers.

I vote for the Baking Steel mentioned above. It's great for pizza or bread, and can be used as a griddle if you are careful with the amount of oil. I leave mine in the oven all the time to help moderate the temp fluctuations in the oven. It also works great for baking a pizza in a kettle.

There are lots of great dough recipes on the net, but I suggest you use the one that you have working now. Once you are sure you have that one mastered, then you can try others. I like Kenji's recipe for pizza dough that is made in a food processor.

Are you making your own sauce? There are lots of good sauce recipes available also. Again, I like one from Kenji, but he just gives a general idea how to make it, so you would have to play with it to get it the way you want it.

Comment

• marshall
              marshall commented
              Editing a comment
              just used straight red gold, but plan on doing my own sauce once I get the dough down, thanks!

Chef Jacob Burton of Stella Culinary has a good video on shaping pizza dough. I use this technique a lot.

Comment

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              06/2020 update--I recently discovered Stella Culinary and highly recommend Chef Jacob. I found the preceding link invalid. Its replacement has enabled me to form pizza dough properly, easily, and enjoyably (I'm still learning): https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-v...ch-pizza-dough. His NY Style dough is my go-to--retard it for 5 days and it'll blow your mind!

I'm going against the grain here. I have not tried a baking steel, and I have nothing against them at all. ( Except the cost!)
            But I use this pizza stone, and I really like it a lot.

Comment

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              +1. I don't think many people use it, and it takes some getting used to, but it heats evenly as advertised and will help produce an excellent, evenly baked pizza.

I also would recommend Ken Forkish's Elements of Pizza, if you don't already have it. Okay, I'm done.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, you want the principles!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              It is a great read as well as a good cookbook!

• Flying Fur
              Flying Fur commented
              Editing a comment
              Another favorite book is Tony Gemignani's, The Pizza Bible. He outlines many different types of dough recipes and sauces with suggestions for a variety of toppings.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
            I vote for the Baking Steel mentioned above. It's great for pizza or bread, and can be used as a griddle if you are careful with the amount of oil. I leave mine in the oven all the time to help moderate the temp fluctuations in the oven. It also works great for baking a pizza in a kettle.

There are lots of great dough recipes on the net, but I suggest you use the one that you have working now. Once you are sure you have that one mastered, then you can try others. I like Kenji's recipe for pizza dough that is made in a food processor.

Are you making your own sauce? There are lots of good sauce recipes available also. Again, I like one from Kenji, but he just gives a general idea how to make it, so you would have to play with it to get it the way you want it.

Does leaving it in the oven all the time slow your preheat times?

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't checked times, but it does seem a bit longer with the steel in the oven.

If you are going to be cooking pizzas on your kettle and have MCS and a little cash to burn, the Kettle Pizza accessory is great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here