Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Style Pizza from Beginning to End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah buddy, we need to go to Barry's house for the pizza party....I will bring the keg

Comment

Nice job as always Barry, you do a good job on a thorough informative post. You have me salivating for a good pizza too like DWC.

We have that same Tupperware pastry sheet. Oh, and an out-of-round pie looks more authentic. Any nice wood-fired pizza place I've ever been to has them that way. I think it makes look more homemade and not stamped by a machine. Nicely done!

Comment

• Marauderer
        Marauderer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the input Huskee. I hope to have the Blackstone up and running next week and will try that. I am not sure I can improve much on what I have done and don't want to spend hours and days looking for the perfect pizza. I will be doing four pies this next week. It should be interesting. I think it is mostly technique now.

Here's a link from Serious Eats that discusses NY style. It also has a link to the recipe I use.
      http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...yle-pizza.html

And the sauce I use: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...zza-sauce.html

If you are looking for a new toy, these are AWESOME. Pizzas are done in 3 - 4 minutes! http://uuni.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
        Here's a link from Serious Eats that discusses NY style. It also has a link to the recipe I use.
        http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...yle-pizza.html

And the sauce I use: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...zza-sauce.html

If you are looking for a new toy, these are AWESOME. Pizzas are done in 3 - 4 minutes! http://uuni.net
        Thanks for the input Dr ROK, I started playing with Pizza more seriously when I acquired this;

It was damaged and I haven't been able to use it until I get a new rotating tray and that should be shipped this next week. The Blackstone is suppose to hit as high as 900*F on the stones and produce a nice Neapolitan pie. It will l be interesting to work it.

I am very happy with the pies I am getting off my Weber S470 Gasser and the inside kitchen oven so if the Blackstone isn't significantly different and better it will be going to a new home.

My pies are coming out now in 4 min if I get the stone temp to 550*F before I put the pie on it.

The Uuni gets excellent reviews and is somewhat modestly priced. I will be doing a review on the Blackstone after I get it running correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
          Thanks for sharing the pizzamaking.com website! Another site for me to spend hours on trying to pick up new ideas.
          I have found the folks at pizzamaking.com to be VERY helpful. Just like the Pit only for pizza.

Comment

• W.A.
            W.A. commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. I thought I knew something about pizza. Turns out I was wrong. Sort of like BBQ before stumbling upon Meathead's site.

4 Min?? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
            4 Min?? Wow.
            At 800-900*F stone temps the pies are done in about 90 sec.

Comment

I will echo the groans. Oh great, another site for me to check.

For two balls of dough I do the following:

2 1/2 cups AP flour
              3/4 tsp yeast
              1 tbsp olive oil
              1 tsp kosher salt
              1 cup hot water (as hot as you can get it out of the tap)

I let the yeast sit in the water for 10 minutes with just a tiny pinch of sugar to start the yeast. Then all ingredients into the mixer for 10 minutes. Then rise in an oil coated closed container for an hour. Makes two dough balls.

-Alden

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                The water comes out of my tap at 160°F. That would kill my yeast right quick.

DEW

• AldenMiller
                AldenMiller commented
                Editing a comment
                Ouch! Must make showers exciting!

Alden, what kind of yeast are you using? ADY? IDY? or any kind of dry yeast?

Comment

• AldenMiller
                AldenMiller commented
                Editing a comment
                Fleischman's dry yeast I believe.

Did I say that I love my Thermopen as I can heat my water to 120*F max and use it for my yeast. The yeast dies at 130*F and I have never lost yeast to the water being to hot. I did try and kill it the other day by putting my salt in with it. Salt is death on yeast.

Comment

@Marauderer.

I find it much easier to put my pizza dough on parchment paper. When I'm happy with the final shaping and dressing I slip the pizza peel under the parchment paper and transfer it on to my pizza stone. Parchment paper will not burn and will not stick to the baked crust. It easier to get into and out of the oven or BGE. Just pinch a corner of the paper and drag it off or on to the peel. Or... Better yet get a silicon baking sheet that you can reuse a 100 times or more.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here