Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Style Pizza from Beginning to End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Style Pizza from Beginning to End

After seeing such great pizza's on the Pit I decided I wanted to elevate my Pizza pie skills so I was making a quality pie. I read all of Mh's articles and there is a lot there. MH is very consistent with his knowledge and expertise. I also went over to pizzamaking.com and read a lot there. Wow, there is a bunch of folks that are as passionate about Pizza making as we are about "Q". They are bordering on fanatical.

Anyway, I decided on this recipe for the pie dough.

5 1/4 Cp White Lily Bread flour
    1 5/8 Cp water @ 72*f
    3 1/4 tsp Sugar
    3 tsp Honey
    4 tsp oil (I used just plain old vegetable oil)
    1 3/4 tsp Himalayan salt
    1 tsp ADY

When I got it all mixed together the dough was way to stiff and dry. I added almost another 1/3 Cp of water. The dough was loose but only slightly sticky. The 72*F water was hard for me as I am used to using 110*F water in my bread dough. I did take the yeast, 1/4 Cp of the water and about 1 tsp honey to get the yeast dissolved and going. I wasn't sure but, the dough turned out really well in the end product so I will try and repeat today what I did yesterday.

After I got the dough to the consistency I wanted I kneaded it for 4 min. I then shut the mixer off and let the dough sit for 5 min. I then turned it on again and kneaded it for another 5 min and shut it off. Removed it onto a working surface and covered with plastic wrap and let set for 20 min.

I then punched down the dough and formed into three balls and wrapped them in plastic wrap and placed in the fridge to ferment for at least 24 hrs. The dough had warmed so much that in the first hour in the fridge I had to remove the plastic wrap and punch down the dough and rewrap as the yeast was very active.

When I went to make a pie the next day I took one ball of dough out, unwrapped it. It was pretty sticky so I took about 1/2 tsp of oil in my hand and rubbed my hands together and you can then handle the dough without it sticking to you.

As you can see I used a pie sheet with markings on it and worked the ball out to a 16" shell.

I then covered the shell with a second plastic sheet to allow it to warm up but, minimize the are to the shell.

I then dusted my peel with corn meal.

Removed the top plastic sheet off the shell.

I will continue in the next post.
    Last edited by Marauderer; January 9, 2015, 02:55 PM.

I then removed the shell from the bottom plastic and transferred it to the peel. That really kicks me in the fanny and ZI need to work on that skill to get my pie rounded better.

I used Costyco house brand Marinara sauce thjat I pout a cup of in the blender with about /14-1/2 tsp Italian seasoning and blend on low for about 20 sec or until smooth.

Spread your sauce out thin If you feel you have to much remove some with a spoon and vice versa. If you look at the shell I boobooed at the rear getting it way to thick as it folded under on me and was at a point of no return so to speak.

I had some mini sweet peppers that I prepped using a Japaleno pepper corer and it worked very well

I then sliced them and some ham I had in the fridge for toppings.

To be continued.

Comment

Looking good. Not sure most NY dough has sugar/honey in it though. Just flour, water, yeast, salt, small amount of olive oil. Of course everyone has their own recipe so maybe I'm off base. I use the recipe that came with my kitchenaid.

Comment

I went looking for cheese and saw that I had very limited options. I had enough mozzarella but, ,mozzarella by itself is rather bland to me, and I wanted some other flavors so I found a slice of provolone, a couple of slices of Gouda, some Swiss and the mozzarella.

So after I spread the sauce, put on the peppers, covered with the cheese and added the ham it kind of looked like this.

Oh, handling the dough with oily hand coats the outside of the dough and prevents the sauce from soaking in and masking the crust soggy in the center.

The small peel really complements the large one when the pie sticks to it and doesn't want to transfer to the pizza stone.

Being a one man band I didn't get a pic on the grill or the completed pie when it was done. I will say the wife loved it and is so happy with my new found pizza making skills. The first halh went away really quickly.

I put this pie on the grill pizza stone when the IR themometer read 500*F on the surface of the pizza stone today. I have done pies all the way up to 680*F and for this particular dough 550*F temp seems to be about right

My earlier pizza crust I didn't dock (tine with a fork and they came out with really huge bubbles in the crust.

So now I tine with a fork about 2" apart and about 1.5" away from the edge and I got a great pie.

If you have questions or comments feel free to add to this as it is a work in progress for me.

I am out of dough until I drop another batch on Sunday and we will have pies again next week.

Comment

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          Bought many a slice in Manhattan with bubbles in the crust. All great pizza. I poke them while cooking.

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          Barry, Did you use that rotating stone device you purchased a little while back? Pizzas look great by the way.

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't got the part for the Blackstone yet. Hopefully next week. It is suppose to cook up to 900*F. Wow, I will try it but, unless is is significantly better than the Weber gasser or the kitchen oven I will probably sell it and make room for something else. The kitchen oven I can build a lower and upper stone. I am going to try that on the weber as soon as I can get some fire bricks to support the upper stone.

I think you need some sugar to feed the yeast, no? The biggest issue is that it isn't NY water he's using.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
          I think you need some sugar to feed the yeast, no? The biggest issue is that it isn't NY water he's using.
          Thank Goodness!! I don't even use my local water if I can avoid it. My house water that I use for cooking goes through 1 pre filter and three filters.

Comment

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
            Looking good. Not sure most NY dough has sugar/honey in it though. Just flour, water, yeast, salt, small amount of olive oil. Of course everyone has their own recipe so maybe I'm off base. I use the recipe that came with my kitchenaid.
            Peter Reinhart who I feel most would classify as a Pizza Aficionado and Chef uses this as his NYP Dough Recipe.

5cp flour
            1.5 tsp sugar or honey
            2 tsp table salt
            3 Tbsp oil
            1.75 cp water. On all the pizza forums I have frequented recently they all use sugar, honey, or a combination of the two. The punch line is "Whatever works for you" is what you should do.

Comment

• W.A.
              W.A. commented
              Editing a comment
              I will have to try it now.

Barry, if you want real NY pizza (or bagels), you have to use NY water in the dough.

Comment

• Matt144
              Matt144 commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually, that's a myth worth looking into. The reason you can't get a good NY bagel in most other places, is cause they don't properly boil the dough before baking. It's a lot of time and space to go through this process, so most places just steam their bagels since that's the equipment they already have in house. Take it from this native New Yorker, I have found places that make a good NY bagel. I've even come close to replicating it myself.

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              It MIGHT be a myth, but I personally believe it. I am (almost) a native NY-er, having lived in the 5 boros from 1977 until 2009, and off and on before that. I still work there.

When I cook pizza at home in the oven, I preheat the stone in the oven to 550°F. Some wood burning brick oven places cook at 800°F.
            Last edited by Dewesq55; January 15, 2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Yup, some yeast preps need sugar added. NYC water comes from upstate NY reservoirs and is of pretty good quality.

Comment

Yes, it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
                  Barry, if you want real NY pizza (or bagels), you have to use NY water in the dough.
                  I don't know if my genes are strong enough to absorb the NY water!

Comment

• Marauderer
                    Marauderer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And??? what are you eating Jerod?

Darn comment on the wrong post. Oh Well!!
                    Last edited by Marauderer; January 9, 2015, 04:23 PM.

neato mar..typing one hand..eating

Comment

Although I lived in the Saratoga Springs/Ballston Spa area for about a year back in the middle of the last century and really liked it up there.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's beautiful country up there.

• Marauderer
                      Marauderer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh yes, there is some great hunting up in that area.

Thanks for sharing the pizzamaking.com website! Another site for me to spend hours on trying to pick up new ideas.

Comment

• Marauderer
                      Marauderer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It is definitely an interesting site. Not as good as the "Pit" but a good site.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here