Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Margherita Pizza! Everything but cheese homemade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margherita Pizza! Everything but cheese homemade

Hey folks, no grill involved but made some pizza last night and it turned out well, figured I'd share my recipe and process.

Dough Ingredients (Makes One Pie):
    200g (100%) all purpose flour
    140g (70%) warm water
    4g (2%) salt
    .2g (.1%) yeast

Dough Recipe:
    - Put yeast in a small bowl and add 1T of the warm water
    - Combine remaining water with flour in large container, mix by hand until fully incorporated
    - Cover flour and water mixture and let rest for 30 minutes
    - Add salt and yeasty water to flour and water mixture, mix via your favorite method until salt and yeast are evenly distributed in the dough
    - Let the dough ferment for about 12 hours, folding two or three times within the first hour to develop gluten
    - When the 12 hour ferment is done, divide dough if you made enough for multiple pies, and then shape into balls
    - Place dough balls on lightly oiled baking sheet and put them in the fridge. Let them proof for another 12-48 or so hours, whenever is convenient for you. I prefer about 36 hours.
    - Let the dough come to room temp before shaping

Sauce Ingredients (Makes Enough For 4 Pies):
    28oz can of the best tomatoes you can find
    1t dried oregano
    2 cloves garlic (pressed or minced)
    1 Medium Onion
    1 Sprig of basil
    1 Rind from good parmesan cheese (optional)
    1T oil
    1T butter

Sauce Recipe:
    - Use a blender to get your tomatoes to the consistency you want your sauce
    - Cut the onion in half
    - Heat a saucepan over medium heat
    - Once preheated, add oil and butter to saucepan and heat until shimmering
    - Add oregano and garlic cloves and fry for a minute or so until fragrant
    - Add tomatoes, stir to incorporate oil, oregano, and garlic into the tomatoes
    - Add onion halves, basil sprig, and parmesan rind if you have it
    - Simmer on super low until desired sauce consistency is reached, about an hour

Assembly and pie baking process:
    - If you have a pizza stone or steel, put it on the oven rack one from the top position
    - Preheat your oven as hot as it will go and let it heat for 10-20 minutes after it says it's preheated
    - Shape your dough ball into a pie. I flour my counter, press out the center a little, flip and repeat leaving a rim of about half an inch for the crust. Then I grab the dough by the crust rim and let it hang down, passing it hand over hand so gravity stretches it down evenly. Then I switch to using my fists in the center of the dough, again going hand over hand until desired thickness of dough is reached
    - Place dough on a lightly floured pizza peel. The back of a baking sheet can work if you don't have a pizza peel, but more flour or parchment paper is needed as dough sticks to metal more than wood
    - Top with sauce, cheese, meats, veggies, whatever your preference is
    - Give the peel a shake to make sure the dough is sliding around well. If it's not, lift up the sticky spots and put a little flour under them. Repeat until the dough is sliding around well.
    - Switch the oven to broil for 5 minutes
    - Switch the oven back to bake at the highest temp and put the pizza in
    - Bake for 5 minutes
    - Switch back to broil, keep an eye on it and remove when the top looks done
    - Let oven reheat for 5 minutes on broil between pies

I think that's most of it. Let me know if you have any questions or feedback!

Click image for larger version

Name:	vJ8Exbr.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	497058Click image for larger version

Name:	3Hy0Jfc.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	497059
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WhiskyBadger; May 9, 2018, 11:36 AM.

Looks good WhiskyBadger, I'm hungry now! I've heard rumor that one can stretch pizza dough and slide it off of a peel easily. Unfortunately when I try, I look like something akin to John Belushi and the Samurai Delicatessen and my wife won't speak to me the rest of the day.

Comment

• WhiskyBadger
      WhiskyBadger commented
      Editing a comment
      My other half doesn't speak to me after I make pizza either, but usually because she's too busy eating the pizza

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Try throwing some cornmeal on your peel before placing the stretched dough on and topping it. Give it a quick shake to make sure it's moving when you're done with assembly and ready to head to the oven. It it's sticking any where, lift it there and throw a pinch of cornmeal in there. The cornmeal acts like mini ball bearings

Well done!

Comment

Great job on the pie. Your recipes are sound and should make a great pie.

Comment

If I were your teacher you'd get an A+. That looks wonderful!

Comment

Pretty awesome!

Comment

Great lookin pie, nice simple project, an informative writeup!
            Thanks!!!

Comment

that's a nice looking pie. Adding your recipe to my list of things to try

Comment

Looks great. Wanted to share something I have tried through a different recipe and it works great. I started proofing the instant yeast I use. So I take 1/2 of the warm water I am going use for the dough and I add the yeast and a little sugar. Stir it until all dissolves and keep it in a warm place for 10 minutes. The yeast should froth up nice which means the bubbles at the top are activated and then I mix into the dough. I notice the dough rises nicely with this approach.

Comment

Excellent! That's my wife's favorite pizza, I'm fond of it too although it's not my favorite. But yours looks incredible.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here