Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood pellet pizza oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'll just stick with my Grilla and Pampered Chef pizza stone. I make a thick crust pizza, bake it in the Grilla at 540, after the stone has had an hour to come up to temp, and it takes me about 5-6 minutes to bake. I make thick crust pizza, and doing this way, I have not had a problem with the center of the crust being undercooked. I even did a "loaf" of pizza dough a week ago that I used for communion, baked it for about 8 minutes, and it turned out fine. I didn't have to wait for it to come back up to temp, dropped the ball of dough on right after the pizza came off. Just for grins, Saturday I threw a hunk of hickory on the drip pan and got a little extra smoke. Maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't see the advantage of spending $300 for a pizza oven which has the disadvantages Meathead mentions. Will another 300 degrees really bake my pizza that much faster, and will it really taste that much better?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180728_182111.jpg Views:	3 Size:	4.00 MB ID:	548233

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180804_182850.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.24 MB ID:	548234

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      You know I'm right there with ya on this...

I have a Green Mountain smoker and they recently released a pizza oven accessory for $130- Works like a champ. Also good got bread.
    Attached Files

Comment

• MeatMonster
      MeatMonster commented
      Editing a comment
      The GMG one gets lots of great feedback.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have that same slicer - love it.

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW!!! Pastrami Joe, I'd take lessons from you. My GMG pizza oven has been nothing but frustration for me. And I know it's me!

I agree with Meathead. I have had an UUNI 3 for over a year and using pellets, it was a disaster. You cannot prepare pizzas, cook them and try to maintain the fire by yourself. The pellet fuel delivery is terrible. The pellets cake up in the hopper and then smother the fire causing a lot of soot. Using pellets i would get one decent pizza and the rest would be sooty. Now, I just received my gas burner and I have to admit, it was a game-changer. Although I no longer get the benefit of wood combustion gasses adding flavor I now have a device that is predictable, consistent and puts out fantastic pizzas time after time. My UUNI 3 nearly went to the scrappers, but the gas burner saved its life. If you look at the ooni community and uuni hack Facebook sites, you’ll see a lot of people have soot problems with the pellet burner on the 3. My recommendation is buy the gas burner if you have or are going to buy the UUNI 3 ( aka OONI 3).

Comment

I can't see moving past a kettle with a raised wide stone over a vortex - I don't use the Weber stone but a bigger one that sits higher. So, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've been using KBB with a chunk or two of hickory, and mesquite briquettes made in MO for Schnuck's with a chunk or two of Mesquite. I can't imagine pizza getting better.

Is a dedicated pizza oven MCS only - be honest - or does it have advantages that I'm not aware of yet?

Comment

After reading the above, it sounds like I just found another reason to be happy with my BGE. Makes great pizza!

Comment

Shackflyer Meathead I have cooked several pizzas with the pellet grill. My first Pellet cook was a near disaster as I was trying to make about eight pizzas on my inaugural run. Bad idea! I couldn’t figure out how to get it lit properly and to temperatures. Subsequent pellet cooks were better once I realized how to properly get the grill started using a propane torch. Once the fire is roaring with pellets it isn’t that difficult to keep it going although it does lose temperature pretty fast. I just purchased the gas attachment agree with Meathead and Shackflyer. I had a great even cook and doubt that I ever use the pellet option again.

Last edited by dirtman; October 21, 2018, 12:45 PM. Reason: added video

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here