Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Chicago Deep Dish...in Excruciating Detail

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have suggestions on anything that would need to be different on a Weber Kettle or Spirit vs your ceramic cooker?

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd recommend something to diffuse the direct heat -- like a stone or firebricks -- and watch the temp of the stone. Use an IR gun.

Saw this and ordered a pan and it got here today. I will be doing it indoors in a gas oven. One question: Do I need a pizza stone to do this properly?

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      As EdF said, you're good to go.

• Riverman
      Riverman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Dough is in the oven proofing now.

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us know how it goes!

Have you ever tried using fresh mozzarella. I'm thinking that might be Chicago heresy?

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      It gets a bit watery. However, I've used smoked fresh mozzarella, which dries it out a bit and takes it to another level.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      If you want to use fresh, you have to do something to dry it out. The vac seal trick works really well.

Turned out well, except the pepperoni was a little dried out and burned on the edges. Most likely due to temp differences between ovens. Next time I will try 425 or 400.

The crust was great, although it didn't appear to rise in the oven at all.

Our crushed tomatoes here closely resemble tomato sauce so I used a can of hand crushed & drained San Marzano tomatoes and a small can of drained diced tomatoes. Delish!

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a winner to me! I actually kind of like my pepperoni charred a bit. Don't know if they still do, but Gino's East used to offer charred pepperoni as a topping choice that I liked quite a bit. Tasted like crispy bacon. YMMV!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I know what you mean about charred pepperoni - I like it too. Hand-crushed tomatoes are the best!

Haha, I kind of like them like that too. But next time I am going to try the pepperoni under the tomatoes.

Comment

For a different, and totally awesome take on deep dish, look here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2559.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	328000

Name:	IMG_2562.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	328001

Name:	IMG_2564.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	328002

Comment

Interesting article on San Marzano tomatoes. Seems most are as legit as most olive oils.

Questions arise over what exactly is in that can with the San Marzano label.

Comment

Just love it when I get a post like this that is very detailed. Thanks man

Comment

Pequod I've been making Chicago Deep Dish for a couple of years now using the realdeepdish recipe. I'm going to try your dough recipe really soon and see what happens in the WFO.

This weekend was going to try a Detroit in the WFO but now I might have to try your Chicago dough recipe instead.

But I must bust your chops a bit. What the heck is pepperoni doing in a Chicago Deep Dish? Come on man, Italian sausage lightly pre cooked. Just sayin ........

Comment

• Pequod
              Pequod commented
              Editing a comment
              The realdeepdish recipe is the real deal too. Mine is pretty similar and was gently lifted (and minimally changed) from one at pizzamaking.com. Pepperoni is legit! Gino’s East used to offer charred pepperoni as a topping, and it was like crispy bacon. Superb. Pineapple, etc...must draw the line there.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Why limit to one? Pepperoni is valid.

• Pequod
              Pequod commented
              Editing a comment
              I tend not to use sausage on my deep dish because I can't get that *Chicago* style sweet Italian locally. Just isn't the same with something less. Recently found a recipe at pizzamaking.com that I like a LOT and use on my Chicago Thin, so that story may change in the future.

Huskee - 'Pizza Pizza' - oh geez. Someone from Chicago overnight Huskee a real piece of pizza. Please. And deep dish, unlike steak, when not well done is not done right. ;o)

oh oH DARN, you ducked. I missed you with that tomato.

Comment

And this post is POETRY! Thank you for thinking ahead and giving us this tour.

Comment

I've been using a Chicago dough recipe from Cook's Illustrated. It's really good.

Comment

I think it was Potkettleblack who recently asked about replacing the corn oil in this recipe with butter or another healthier oil. Tonight I made this recipe with 64g of softened, unsalted butter in place of the corn oil and omitted the olive oil entirely. All other ingredients were the same. The result? Outstanding! The crust was a bit lighter and flakier, with more flavor (but no distinctly buttery notes, which could be distracting in a pizza), tending more toward a savory, yeasted pie crust if you can imagine such a thing. This may become my new go to deep dish recipe.
                  Last edited by Pequod; May 12, 2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cool. If it had too much buttery flavor, I might recommend ghee or clarified butter.

But Gino's East has cornmeal in the crust. Just sayin.
                  Looks amazing though.

Comment

• Pequod
                    Pequod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    JeffJ - I’m familiar with the CI recipe and know lots of people who enjoy it. Nothing wrong with that. My objection is to their use of Cornmeal and the word "Chicago" in the same pizza recipe. Bostonians blaming such a travesty on Chicago is irresponsible. Lazy research. Enjoy the pizza, but leave Chicago out of it.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The corn flavor should come from corn oil.

It doesn't mess with the dough character the way cornmeal would.

• Pequod
                    Pequod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Exactly right. I’ve made many a cornmeal based deep dish because Pat Bruno and the conventional wisdom said I should, but it was never right. My deep dish improved overnight and became more Chicago authentic as soon as I ditched the cornmeal for corn oil. Night and day difference.

For Mother's Day we just did 4 cooked in the kettle with a hickory split and a Chicago style pizza in the oven. Here is the Chicago:

Bottom layer - ground pepperoni and sausage.

Name:	IMG_2173.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	678261
                  Then a layer of mozzarella and oregano.

Name:	IMG_2174.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	678257
                  Then a layer of mozzarella sliced for a smooth layer.

Name:	IMG_2175.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	678259

Name:	IMG_2176.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	678260
                  In the oven and removed after 30 minutes for some Parm...

Name:	IMG_2177.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	678256
                  Then back in the oven with the broiler on with the parm....

Name:	IMG_2178.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	678258

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here