Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Kenji thinks a food processor is best for pizza dough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Kenji thinks a food processor is best for pizza dough.

This is a really interesting and thought provoking article. When I get a chance to make pizza dough again, I'm working with his methods - if only for fun.

And I'm wondering what this technique would do for Neapolitan dough.
    Last edited by RonB; January 1, 2017, 06:14 PM.

I use the processor for pie dough will have to try the pizza dough

Comment

Be careful I burned up a cheap food processor making pizza dough. The reason I stopped doing it was the strain it puts on the motor. Even my cuisine art struggles a bit. You will know when it's done because the food processor will start to struggle. It does come out great though.

Comment

I have used Kenji's Pizza Dough Recipe after trying several over the past year. In my opinion his is one of the best!

Comment

I remember reading on pizzamaking.com that the processor does not heat up the dough as much in kneading. So the starting temp is an important factor. They even try to calc what it will be and use a specifc water temp in order to reach that final temp. The stand mixer really heats up a dough so you need much colder water to start.

Comment

Interesting. I used a SE recipe for my first batch of bagels and it used a food processor. We used an old cuisinart and it seemed to do ok.

Comment

Thanks, RonB! We were looking for something to do for dinner tomorrow and saw this. I made a 1/3 batch of the dough. Hey Presto!!! 15 seconds and it's done! Wowsers! The dough is in an oiled (Pam) ZipLoc in the fridge awaiting dinner tomorrow. We had just hit Costco and picked up some real mozz, so we're good to go. Yeah, I know Kenji recommended dry mozz, but...

I've been trying the Stella Culinary Neapolitan with 00 flour, but I just can't get anything close to 800°F, so I'm happy to try this recipe. I can hit 550°F easy.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Willy - let us know how it turns out, and photos would be appreciated - maybe even demanded...

I use Kenji's recipe and my food processor all the time. Works great.

Comment

RonB "let us know how it turned out..."

Not so well, but I'm pretty sure it was my fault. I read the instructions to whirl the dough for about 15 seconds to form a ball, but missed the part where it said to spin for 15 seconds AFTER that. So, the window pane test really didn't work out swell, but, foolishly, I blew it off. (The racket from the food processor unnerved me.) Absent a decent gluten structure, the rise was lousy and the dough stretched WAY too easily, getting see-through thin all over. It tore a lot. Then, for the first time ever, I couldn't get it off the pizza peel easily and it ended up in messy heaps on the stone.

Nonetheless, it was edible and the crust, such as it was, was tasty. Still have more mozz, so I'll try again in a few days.

The take home message for me is to be sure to pass the window pane test. LOL

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
              LangInGibsonia commented
              Editing a comment
              Michael Brinton I've always suspected that it was just too heavy. I never remember to keep it light until I'm cursing at the pizza peel though. What can I say? We like our toppings.

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              Some of the pizza shops I worked in had metal screens they would make the pizza on to help transfer to the oven. After it baked a little they would lift it up and take it off the screen.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              LangInGibsonia - I just reread this. Something else you could try is cooking the toppings separately and either adding them when you pull the pie put, or add them a min or two before it's done.

@LangInGibsonia: I usually just dust the peel with corn meal or semolina. The way this dough turned out (stickier) is likely my bad. Also, unlike most folks, I usually build my pizza right on the peel . Maybe try a slightly lower hydration rate for the dough? Or use a lot of flour on the counter and then slide it onto a "cornmealed" peel? I'm certainly no pizza expert and I haven't done anything "special" to defeat the sticking problem in the past. It just "happened" to work out OK for me until yesterday.

Maybe someone with more experience will weigh in soon.

Comment

LangInGibsonia I'm guessing your dough must be very moist/sticky when you are forming it. Generously flour your surface, drop your dough ball on the floured surface, start patting it down, starting from the center and working your way out. When you get somewhat of a disk formed pick it up and start stretching the dough. Drape the crust over your knuckles and stretch it as you turn it. If it is sticking to the surface prior to you picking it up to stretch it, it needs more flour. Don't be shy about having a dry bottom. You want it pretty dry. Then use your cornmeal on the peel like you and others have mentioned. As previously mentioned, it important to work quickly, but it doesn't really have to be that fast of a process. Just have everything prepared and ready to throw on your pie. When you're done, give the peel a back and forth shake or two to make sure the pie is moving. If not, lift where it is sticking and throw a pinch of cornmeal under the pie in that area and try the shake movement again. If it's moving, your good to go. If not, repeat the cornmeal under the pie step. You'll be fine, give it a try!

Comment

Michael Brinton Dr ROK Willy Thanks for all the advice. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes next time.

Comment

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One more thought. Try weighing your crust ingredients--find a recipe (lots of 'em on AR) that specifies ingredients by weight. There's just too much variation when measuring by volume. That is lesson #1 from Breadhead. and it's worth remembering.

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Weighing is much more precise. Depending on how you scoop your flour, the difference can be huge. This chart can help. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn...ght-chart.html

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The amount of flour in one cup can vary at least 25% depending on how you measure it. Even if you use the same method to fill the cup each time, the weight can still vary enough to mess up your results.

A caution: When I made this the other day (and failed--see above) I made just one third of the recipe since the recipe makes three pizzas worth of dough. I can't tell you how bad the racket from the food processor was. Today, I made a 2/3 sized batch and the processor didn't make nearly as much racket. So, beware of small batches.

I'll report tomorrow or Sunday AM on how the pizza turns out. Having verified the window pane test this time, I am optimistic.

Comment

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Stuck to the window this time?

Eureka! I'm gonna say Kenji is a winner again-as always. I made the pizza tonight with the dough I made last night. Now, I'm not the best crust former yet, but I am quite happy with the results. No problems with sticking, no problems getting it off the peel. I didn't use his sauce. Toppings were: "fresh mozz (Costco), pepperoni, homemade pizza sauce (with home grown tomatoes, onions, and garlic), dabs of goat cheese and caramelized onions. Photos follow: (I made sure to capture the wine bottle so's y'all would think I was sofistucated

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019[1].gif
Views:	490
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	260810Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025[1].gif
Views:	491
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	260811

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a great looking pie Willy. The cornicione is super looking - nice large bubbles. How did the crust taste?

RonB Pretty darned good. My crust forming skills led to some crust being "too much" and, truth be told, I'd really prefer a Neapolitan style pizza, but I just can't achieve the proper temperatures. Nonetheless, I am pleased. Nice little yeast bubbles when stretching the dough, nice flavor, probably wouldn't pass for a real NY pizza, but that is likely my fault. Like I said, Kenji is da man. I'll do it again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here