Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sloppy Transfer, Need Advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sloppy Transfer, Need Advice!

I use a Lodge cast iron pizza pan when grilling (or baking, for that matter), and I almost always struggle with the transfer of the pizza from the peel to the pan. I have a wooden peel, and I have tried coating it with flour or cornmeal to help with a smooth transfer, but the pie almost always sticks to some degree when transferring it to the pan. Curious what you folks do to provide a smooth transfer from peel to pan. Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Parchment paper. Works every time. Others use a silicone mat.

Comment

• Frenchy19
      Frenchy19 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is too simple; now I just feel dumb!!! Will be trying this in the next day or two. Thanks!!

No worries. I struggled with the same thing! I feel your pain!

Comment

Thanks, Scott. Going to get some ingredients for a sauce, coming to make the crust and tomorrow or the next day will give the parchment a whirl!

Comment

We make our dough on the parchment paper on top of the pizza peel. Because one time, we made the dough on the counter, then struggled to get it onto the parchment paper. The pizza peel underneath the parchment paper will give you a good idea of how big to make it.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Scott... try using a generous quanity of cornmeal on your counter top when stretching and shaping your dough. It will not stick to your counter at all. Then transfer it to your parchment paper. That's exactly the way they do it at Domino's Pizza. They use pizza pans though, not parchment paper.

The problem is that the dough has moisture in it, and it doesn't take long for it to stick to anything. If you watch most pros when they make a pizza, they do it very quickly, and use a ton of flour on the bottom. I've never seen a pizza stick in a restaurant, and I do watch.

Parchment is the way to go, but you still need to be as quick as possible because the pizza will stick to the parchment too.

Comment

I light dusting of cornmeal on the bottom of the crust prevents sticking.

Comment

• Frenchy19
            Frenchy19 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have tried this to no avail. Going to go the parchment route!

Frenchy19 I agree! Just make sure that if you are on your grill, none of the paper overhangs the edge of your stone or pan. It's parchment all the way for me.

Comment

Your dough must be very moist/sticky when you are forming it. Generously flour your surface, drop your dough ball on the floured surface, start patting it down, starting from the center and working your way out. When you get somewhat of a disk formed pick it up and start stretching the dough. Drape the crust over your knuckles and stretch it as you turn it. If it is sticking to the surface prior to you picking it up to stretch it, it needs more flour. Don't be shy about having a dry bottom. You want it pretty dry. Then use your cornmeal on the peel like you and others have mentioned. As previously mentioned, it important to work quickly, but it doesn't really have to be that fast of a process. Just have everything prepared and ready to throw on your pie. When you're done, give the peel a back and forth shake or two to make sure the pie is moving. If not, lift where it is sticking and throw a pinch of cornmeal under the pie in that area and try the shake movement again. If it's moving, your good to go. If not, repeat the cornmeal under the pie step. You'll be fine, give it a try!

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              That's good advice...👍

• crpeck
              crpeck commented
              Editing a comment
              This is spot on - I made pizzas in an Italian restaurant while in college and thru the summers - this was the technique we used to shovel it into the oven. BTW - we would periodically "wreck" a pizza when taking it out when we were hungry :-)

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here