Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Roccbox finally arrived!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Roccbox finally arrived!!!!!

Have been experimenting with my new Roccbox. The overall build of this thing is impressive. They had a manufacturing screw up and several of the gas burners were built incorrectly. Lucky me, I was one that received a bad burner. No worries though, because it also has a wood burner. The wood burner is very efficient, but I have not been able to get the oven up to the temps I want before the build up in ash in the burner is an issue. I was able to cook a few pizzas, but the rolling flame wasn't as large as needed to brown/char the top and get the stone floor hot enough to char the bottom. Once I receive my replacement gas burner I plan to use the gas burner to get it up to the higher temps and then remove the gas burner and slap the wood burner on to cook the pizzas. Still get a wood fired pizza! Here's a few pics.

Wood burner attached and ready to go.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7733.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	237417

Getting the kindling going.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7735.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.18 MB ID:	237408

Wood burner flame inside oven.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7738.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	237411

Flames coming toward the front after she's been going for awhile.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7742.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	237409

Floor temp.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7751.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	237412

Homemade capicola & fresh mozzarella personal pizza.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7754.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	237413

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7753.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	237415

Under carriage has the start of a nice char, but I prefer mine with more.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7755.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	237416

Very wild looking. The pizza looks fantastic. How large a pizza can you put in this?

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      The opening is about 12 inches across.

Wow, that looks cool! Is it going to replace your Rec Tec?

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      No way. It's what I'll cook pizza on, but not much of anything else.

Really interesting looking. Looks like a lot less fuss than doing Neapolitan style in a BGE.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      You have to keep a pretty close eye on keeping the hopper filled with wood, but I think the gas attachment will make this much easier.

That thing looks like its about to take off!

Comment

Very Cool Unit. Let see some more pics of this thing.

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll post more as I experiment. Unless you want something specific. If so, let me know. Here's a link to their website: https://www.roccbox.com

Sweet!

Comment

It looks like the learning curve was very shot as the 'zas posted all look great.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Getting very close. I prefer a bit more char on the bottom and rim of the pizza, but was still pretty tasty!

I tried out the gas burner since tech support said to feel free to use its till the replacement arrives. Here's a few pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7770.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	237832

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7773.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	237831

Attached Files

Comment

Did that gas cook get the crust more to your liking? More char?

Certainly looks delicious!!!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 7, 2016, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Dag nab it Dr Roc - you are about to get my MCS fired up - again... (pun intended)

Comment

Mr. Bones, yes it did, but due to the burner assembly defect, the flame shot more to one side instead of evenly over the surface. In the pic you can see it's shooting more to the right. As a result, the cheese didn't get much browning on it. I also didn't get it up to it's highest temp, so more playing to do!

Comment

About how thick is the crust? Both my wife and I love a thin crust pizza that has a nice, almost black char on the bottom.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a NY style pizza, so it's a thicker crust. For thin crust I simple roll this dough recipe. Makes a great thin crust. I'll try to take some pics next time I do thin crust.

Are you getting uneven heating on the stone? You said that you just wanted to use the gas to heat the unit, and then switch to wood, so can you do that with the defective burner?

Comment

Great looking Pizza I bet it would be great for searing Steaks after being Sous Vide or heck after a reverse sear off the stove top.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here