Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza sauce!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the book "Elements of Pizza" by Ken Forkish. It calls for using only whole canned tomatoes, pureed. (what they use in Italy) He explains that the canned whole tomatoes are the best quality. I tried this and my wife declared it the best pizza I have made.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, I've told two of the three sets of people who will get me holiday gifts that I want that book. CAN'T WAIT!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Reading it right now. It's good. Be aware that the recipes are for a home oven 500-600F.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Home oven to 550 is not a problem... for hotter, gotta go outside.

If I have tomatoes fresh from the garden, I use them. A potato ricer with the small plate makes a slightly textured sauce.

If I don't have fresh tomatoes, I use Cento brand tomato puree. I chose this product because the ingredient list sez tomatoes - period. No calcium citrate or anything else.

My current recipe is one 28 oz can of tomato puree, (or fresh tomatoes), 8 to 10 cloves of garlic, salt to taste, crushed red peppers to taste. Sometimes I add a little bit of some of these ingredients - depending on how I feel: butter for richness, soy sauce for umami, oregano for flavor. If I add soy sauce, I lighten up on the salt.

The great thing about making your own sauce is that you can make it to suit your taste.

Comment

I gotta up my pizza game. I have a pizza oven that can hit 900°. I have Ken Forkish's book (haven't finished reading it though). But I'm still buying dough and sauce. I just haven't had the time thus far, but I will make time hopefully soon.

I've switched around a little on the store bought sauce, and have recently been using this stuff from Italy (Ingredients: tomato juice, onion, salt, sugar, oregano, basil, pepper).

Click image for larger version

Name:	08-pizza-sauce.jpg__680x680_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	405269

Comment

Do you homemade sauce guys make big batches and freeze in single pizza sized packages?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          If you use a 28 oz can of tomatoes, that will make a number of pizzas. How many depends on the size you make and how much sauce you like. But you should have enough to portion and freeze. That is what I do.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          My thought is to make dough and sauce ahead of time and freeze it. Then I could take out one dough and one sauce for each pizza in the morning. I've heard dough freezes well? I know sauce does.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I do. I have two doughs and sauce in the freezer now.

I really like my pizza sauce thickened and with herbs and garlic, ala RonB 's OP. Make a big batch and freeze in single use containers.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't know you could seal on demand like that. Only had my food saver for a month or two.

I also make pizza once a week and have had store bought sauce mold in the fridge several times.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack - mold just adds flavor...

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha.

I'm in the non-cooked camp and just mix everything up cold and let it sit:

Tomato Sauce 28 oz
        Minced Garlic 3 cloves
        Kosher Salt 1/2 t
        Dried Oregano 3/4 t
        Sugar 1/4 t
        Olive Oil 1 T
        Dried Basil 3/4 t
        Onion Powder 1/2 t
        Black Pepper 1/4 t

This sauce gets much better after sitting for a day or so.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here