Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle + SnS for pizza - attempt # 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Thanx Big Maple - I may try the peel again and just pick up the pie when it's ready to go in the kettle and immediately transfer to the hot stone.

• Big Maple
    commented on 's reply
    RonB I have that peel too and I suggest sprinkling some corn meal on it before picking up the pizza. Works every time for me.

• thefist
    commented on 's reply
    I used a hover grill for the same purpose. Works well. Much more stable than the 2 half bricks I tried before that. Geez, I'm in Lowes so much you'd think I'd remember to buy another brick,or 2.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Thunder77 - I tried placing the steel on top of the hovergrill and it worked, so next time I'll give it a try. Thanx.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    In the indoor oven. I used a pair of oven mitts plus a pair of silicon trivets to move the steel. The steel heats very quickly - almost keeping pace with the oven as it heats.
    I will use the hovergrill next time - I think that will be high enough.

And thanx.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    I read that dough recipe after you posted it and found it so far outside the box of MOST pizza dough recipes that I decided to mix some up.đź‘Ť It's a winner. I like how he added lots of sugar, more to help it brown at low temp cooking and the relatively high fat content, olive oil, was interesting. Plus the hydration percentage is higher than most pizza dough recipes.

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Nice cook. If you want to raise the pizza even higher, use a few bricks under the steel. I'm curious, did you preheat the steel in our oven or in your kettle?

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    I love Kenji's dough recipe. Use it all the time and folks around here go bat shit crazy for the stuff.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Another thought - I may try it with some parchment under the pie.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Thanx Meathead. The problem was that I slid the 'za too far in, and it came in contact with the hot coals. It stuck to the grate and I had a hard time unsticking it without damaging the pie.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Thanx, but I have that peel. I've never been overjoyed with it and seldom use it. Once I put dough on it, I must put it in the oven right away or it will dampen the cloth and make it hard to slide.
    Last edited by RonB; July 21, 2016, 11:14 AM.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    This was Kenji's recipe for dough:

I made it in the processor, but then I did some stretch and folds so I could get a feel for the dough.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    The rest of the beer was in the fridge. I do drink wine, but not with pizza.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Picture perfect pizza to me! Got to love those pepperoni "cups" !
    Wood fired pizza place by us says "Blisters and char is our oven’s way of saying I love you."

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    replied
    You might try a metal or brick deflector above the water trough to protect the back edge of the pie and send more heat upward. But rotating the pie should help.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here