Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle + SnS for pizza - attempt # 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle + SnS for pizza - attempt # 2

Several weeks ago I tried baking pizza using my kettle, the SnS, and a CyberQ. I was not pleased with the results. I thought the forced air would get me hotter temps, but it did not. It took a little over 9 min for the bake and the results were OK, but not great.

Tonight I took another whack at it with much better results I preheated a Baking Steel at 550* for 30 min and checked the temp. It was about 560*. In the meantime, I had started a chimney of KBB and chopped up some hickory chunks into different sizes. I had made my sauce earlier, and the dough was ready to stretch. The mozzarella was sliced and the pepperoni was waiting.

I had overfilled the chimney with charcoal, so I poured some briquettes onto the grate and put the rest in the SnS. Then I added the wood - smaller pieces first, then the larger and largest. Using a pair of mits and two silicon trivets, I quickly, (!), moved the hot steel to the kettle and placed the lid back in place. I used a disposable pan to raise the steel a bit higher, but I accidentally placed the edge of steel on the lip of the kettle, and that collapsed the opposite edge of the pan underneath. I put the lid on the kettle, but offset a bit as @ Koy Schoppe did.

Then I stretched the dough, placed it on parchment on the back of a cookie sheet, sauced it, put the cheese and pepperoni on it. When I put the pie on the steel, it slid into the edge of the fire and stuck to the grate!! It took me a minute to get it unstuck, and it was burned in that area. However, it cooked in about 4.5 min and it had great oven spring. The bottom was a bit over cooked in some areas for my taste, but feel that it was a better pie than the last one I baked, and I hope the next one will be spot on.

WHAT I LEARNED: I will not put hot coals under the steel next time. I will jerk the faux peel towards me instead of trying to slide the pizza away from me. I think I may need some 00 flour - the thermometer on the lid went around more than 360* and the max temp on that thermometer is 600*.

I think I have explained all the photos, so no text with them... Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5976.jpg Views:	1 Size:	213.8 KB ID:	198080Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5978.jpg Views:	1 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	198071Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5982.jpg Views:	1 Size:	299.9 KB ID:	198072Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5984.jpg Views:	1 Size:	245.5 KB ID:	198073Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5985.jpg Views:	1 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	198074Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5990.jpg Views:	1 Size:	251.8 KB ID:	198075Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5991.jpg Views:	1 Size:	196.7 KB ID:	198076Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5995.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	198077Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5993.jpg Views:	1 Size:	243.2 KB ID:	198078Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5996.jpg Views:	1 Size:	150.7 KB ID:	198079
    Last edited by RonB; March 21, 2017, 04:58 PM.

Dang, that pizza looks great and not even on a Kamado or a BGE. Nice work RonB

Comment

It looks delicious RonB. Love the blue kettle (blue is my favorite color)!

Comment

RonB Looks great. You should patent that technique.........

Comment

Final result looks really tasty to me. I think you might be a little too picky!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx David Parrish. I am very picky and intend to stay that way on my own cooks.

Looks awesome. Maybe rotate a pie once to keep one side from getting burnt. Better than my tries on my kettle. I'm picking up a SnS plus so I'll have to try this.

Saw a Kickstarter for a modular pizza oven that fits on a Weber kettle. Probably not available until 2018 (they say 2017 but it's Kickstarter) and looks like it'll cost a smooth $1000. Called a Relic oven by a company in TN.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx mbelang. I did rotate the pie, but it actually came in contact with the hot coals when I put it in, and it stuck to the grate. It took me a minute to get it unstuck and moved.

RonB, that looks dang good! On thing you might want to consider is either a hovergrill, or another type of rack to get your steel higher into the dome. This will help get the top and bottom cooking at the same time. Just a thought....
        Pizza looks great though!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx Thunder77. I have the grate that came with the Smokenator 1000. The steel may be too big to fit on top, but I guess I should try it to be sure...

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77 - I tried placing the steel on top of the hovergrill and it worked, so next time I'll give it a try. Thanx.

I agree on the Hovergrill and you pizza crust looks really nice. That open and airy crumb is perfect. Good job!

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx @ Breadhead. I did peg the dial on the dome thermometer, (600* max). Do you think the temp went high enough to justify the 00 flour?

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB ... Yes, you cooked hot enough to brown your crust nicely. 00 flour has less natural sugar than bread flour and all purpose flour. The fact that your crust actually browned tells me you had sufficient heat. Again... Nice cook!

Thanx all for commenting. I appreciated the kudos and the suggestions.

Comment

• l'inferno
          l'inferno commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for posting all the pics. Pizza looked awesome.
          Only issue I could see was there was ONLY one beer and no wine. Congrats.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          The rest of the beer was in the fridge. I do drink wine, but not with pizza.

RonB excellent looking pizza. RonB Koy Schoppe If you two don't mind me asking which recipe are you guys using for your dough?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          This was Kenji's recipe for dough:

I made it in the processor, but then I did some stretch and folds so I could get a feel for the dough.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          I love Kenji's dough recipe. Use it all the time and folks around here go bat shit crazy for the stuff.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I read that dough recipe after you posted it and found it so far outside the box of MOST pizza dough recipes that I decided to mix some up.đź‘Ť It's a winner. I like how he added lots of sugar, more to help it brown at low temp cooking and the relatively high fat content, olive oil, was interesting. Plus the hydration percentage is higher than most pizza dough recipes.

Looks good to me, but I get what you're saying about wanting it a particular way. Good luck on your next attempt. You'll get it.

Comment

Did search per @mbelang

https://tn-sd.com/product/the-relic-...ng-brick-oven/

Like most, I don't need much of an excuse to purchase an additional and most likely not totally needed accessory for my Weber (read looflighter, smokeEZ, Smokenator, rib-o-lator).
          But regarding the above, well... the way I see some cats here cook pizza I think the "Relic" may be aptly named. Seems like it might be heavy for the OTG. Maybe on Performer.
          *(What's abbreviation for Performer?)
          Last edited by l'inferno; July 21, 2016, 07:16 AM.

Comment

There's a terrific pizza peel that you should take a look at that will make your pizza transferring life so much easier whether in your oven or on your grill. It's called the EXO Super Peel Pizza Peel. Got one a couple of years ago and the thing lives up to its reputation. Pizzas slide easily right off and back on when done. Give it a look.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Another thought - I may try it with some parchment under the pie.

• Big Maple
              Big Maple commented
              Editing a comment
              RonB I have that peel too and I suggest sprinkling some corn meal on it before picking up the pizza. Works every time for me.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanx Big Maple - I may try the peel again and just pick up the pie when it's ready to go in the kettle and immediately transfer to the hot stone.

You might try a metal or brick deflector above the water trough to protect the back edge of the pie and send more heat upward. But rotating the pie should help.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanx Meathead. The problem was that I slid the 'za too far in, and it came in contact with the hot coals. It stuck to the grate and I had a hard time unsticking it without damaging the pie.

Picture perfect pizza to me! Got to love those pepperoni "cups" !
            Wood fired pizza place by us says "Blisters and char is our oven’s way of saying I love you."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here