Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle + SnS for pizza - attempt # 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Parrish
    replied
    Final result looks really tasty to me. I think you might be a little too picky!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    RonB Looks great. You should patent that technique.........

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    It looks delicious RonB. Love the blue kettle (blue is my favorite color)!

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Dang, that pizza looks great and not even on a Kamado or a BGE. Nice work RonB

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    started a topic Kettle + SnS for pizza - attempt # 2

Kettle + SnS for pizza - attempt # 2

Several weeks ago I tried baking pizza using my kettle, the SnS, and a CyberQ. I was not pleased with the results. I thought the forced air would get me hotter temps, but it did not. It took a little over 9 min for the bake and the results were OK, but not great.

Tonight I took another whack at it with much better results I preheated a Baking Steel at 550* for 30 min and checked the temp. It was about 560*. In the meantime, I had started a chimney of KBB and chopped up some hickory chunks into different sizes. I had made my sauce earlier, and the dough was ready to stretch. The mozzarella was sliced and the pepperoni was waiting.

I had overfilled the chimney with charcoal, so I poured some briquettes onto the grate and put the rest in the SnS. Then I added the wood - smaller pieces first, then the larger and largest. Using a pair of mits and two silicon trivets, I quickly, (!), moved the hot steel to the kettle and placed the lid back in place. I used a disposable pan to raise the steel a bit higher, but I accidentally placed the edge of steel on the lip of the kettle, and that collapsed the opposite edge of the pan underneath. I put the lid on the kettle, but offset a bit as @ Koy Schoppe did.

Then I stretched the dough, placed it on parchment on the back of a cookie sheet, sauced it, put the cheese and pepperoni on it. When I put the pie on the steel, it slid into the edge of the fire and stuck to the grate!! It took me a minute to get it unstuck, and it was burned in that area. However, it cooked in about 4.5 min and it had great oven spring. The bottom was a bit over cooked in some areas for my taste, but feel that it was a better pie than the last one I baked, and I hope the next one will be spot on.

WHAT I LEARNED: I will not put hot coals under the steel next time. I will jerk the faux peel towards me instead of trying to slide the pizza away from me. I think I may need some 00 flour - the thermometer on the lid went around more than 360* and the max temp on that thermometer is 600*.

I think I have explained all the photos, so no text with them... Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5976.jpg Views:	1 Size:	213.8 KB ID:	198080Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5978.jpg Views:	1 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	198071Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5982.jpg Views:	1 Size:	299.9 KB ID:	198072Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5984.jpg Views:	1 Size:	245.5 KB ID:	198073Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5985.jpg Views:	1 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	198074Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5990.jpg Views:	1 Size:	251.8 KB ID:	198075Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5991.jpg Views:	1 Size:	196.7 KB ID:	198076Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5995.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	198077Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5993.jpg Views:	1 Size:	243.2 KB ID:	198078Click image for larger version  Name:	A07Y5996.jpg Views:	1 Size:	150.7 KB ID:	198079
    Last edited by RonB; March 21, 2017, 04:58 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here