Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork BBQ Pizza on the Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork BBQ Pizza on the Grill

After a late night at the most perfect and fun wedding we have ever been to, I got a late start on Sunday morning. The plan was to smoke a Boston Butt for pulled pork this week and cook Peruvian Chicken with Aji sauce for dinner. I had looked at the ingredients for the chicken and sauce and purchased some authentic ingredients but I had not looked at the preparation and cooking directions. This chicken recipe is a 2-day process so we will be having it Monday night. Stay tuned for that, now on to the butt!
    I like Boston Butts and I cannot lie. This one was coated with Meathead's Memphis Rub followed by a layer of Aleppo pepper and that was followed with a layer of my redemption ribeye rub. I injected the butt with Game Changer injection using coca-cola and water. The butt went on the Weber at 225F. When the butt hit 156F internal temperature I wrapped it with foil and butcher paper but not before pouring the drippings over the butt and into the foil.
    As the butt neared its target internal temperature I prepped a chimney of Kingsford. I put the Kingsford in the SNS before pulling the butt off. Then I started a chimney of cowboy lump charcoal. When the butt was done it went into the house to hold for a bit while the grill was set up and heating up for the pizza. I poured the lump onto the charcoal grate and placed a cast iron griddle on the food grate. Then I put the pizza stone on top of the cast iron griddle.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	186570
    I went into the house and started to throw the pizza dough we purchased from Valenti's. The pizza got a layer of BBQ sauce, some fresh basil, and some onion.

Name:	IMG_1637.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	186571
    Then we added some pulled pork and cheddar cheese. Voila, onto the grill it went! 8 minutes later, we had good marbling on the crust and bubbling toppings.

Name:	IMG_1642.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	186572
    We then made another pizza leaving off the basil and onions. When it went on I managed to get in a slice of the first pizza.

Name:	IMG_1644.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	186573
    The second pizza cooked much faster as the stone and grill had gotten hotter, it took about 5 minutes. The crust was much better and had nice air bubbles.

Name:	IMG_1645.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	186574
    Respect to Chef Steps. Their recent tutorial on pizza dough was very helpful and our crust passed their test.

Great write up and photos. Nice job on the butt and the pizzas. I would definitely go for pulled pork on a pizza. Sounds delicious!

On occasion I'll melt some cheddar cheese over pulled pork, with nothing else. I think I could eat pulled pork on about anything for any meal, including breakfast.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Think pulled pork and cheese omelet...

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB that's amazing. Just haven't done one lately!

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      the first pizza was a bit misshapen because it sat on the peel too long. The flour got moist and it was a challenge to get off. My timing was better on the second one and it slid right off.

Wow that's some good looking food!! But my Eye Brows really popped up when you Talked about Chef Steps and their Pizza dough Tutorial!! I've been looking for a good process. Lubbock doesnt have a place to buy raw Pizza Dough so gotta go find said Tutorial!!!!

Comment

A question for Breadhead or Strat50 or anyone else. I know that using parchment paper has been advised to help slide the pizza off onto a stone. Will butcher paper withstand that kind of heat as well? I was out of parchment paper but was hesitant to use butcher paper.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think butcher paper can take that much heat. I've never tried it but I would be hesitant. Parchment paper has a special formula to take really high heat. Trim you parchment paper so the edges are not overhanging your pizza stone and you're good to go.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      You can buy parchment paper at your super market. It will in the same area as the aluminum foil display.

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks that is exactly what I thought.

martybartram, yer killing me here! I already had breakfast, and I had to switch out my computer keyboard; you had me drooling all over!
    Regarding butcher paper, I don't think it will take the higher temperatures. Parchment paper is coated with silicone to help withstand higher temps. From what I read, butcher paper is plain kraft paper, made for strength and moisture resistance. It has a flash point of 580 degrees F.
    Last edited by Thunder77; June 28, 2016, 07:55 AM.

Comment

GadjetGriller ... This is fantastic instruction for everything you need to know about making really good pizza dough at home.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        A lot of good info there but not sure where to get 00 flour?? (I looked it up and is said that all purpose flour is about the same sorta kinda although its not made from durum wheat) thanks for the info!
        Last edited by GadjetGriller; June 28, 2016, 12:27 PM. Reason: miss spelled words as usual

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        GadjetGriller Amazon has lots of 00 flour. Use the AR link :-) http://tinyurl.com/amazingribs then search for 00 flour.

martybartram ...

The easiest thing to use for baking pizza at really high temps is Silicone baking mats. I cut them into round shapes that fit on my pizza stone, leaving 1" uncovered on the edge of the stone. You can wash these baking mats in your kitchen sink and use them forever.

Comment

• martybartram
        martybartram commented
        Editing a comment
        nice tip...

That Za looks amazing. I love doing these. I made some Pork Carnitas the other night with left over pulled pork. That stuff is so versatile.

Comment

Incredible! I am speechless (actually it's because my tongue is hanging out!).

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          that is high praise! thank you!

GadjetGriller ...

All Purpose flour IS NOT like "00" flour!!! All Purpose & Bread flour will burn at 750° to 800°. 00 flour is designed to cook at those high temps without burning. You can buy 00 flour on Amazon.

If you want to use All Purpose flour or Bread flour use another one of his recipes and bake your pizza at 550°.

Also... Watch his video for shaping and stretching your dough into pizza crusts... It's genius.👍

Comment

Thanks Breadhead & fuzzydaddy for the link and the advice! I envision another video but in that one I have pizza dough and 00 flour all over my face?? Probably not a good thing lol!

Comment

When I cater parties, I use Kenji's NY style pizza dough recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...zza-dough.html

The recipe uses bread flour instead of 00 flour and I've cooked these pies at temps well above 650 without any issues. I use an Uuni pellet oven and the floor temps have reached over 700. I am anxiously awaiting my new Roccbox oven! Really excited to see how that baby rocks.
            Last edited by Dr ROK; June 28, 2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here