Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue Apron Food Delivery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Apron Food Delivery

So, I get this box delivered to my front door from Blue Apron. It's not mine; the guy screwed up the address and dumped it on my porch. I know the lady, so I march down there a little after 5:00 when I know she'll be home. She smile and invites me in. Offers me beer and begins to open the package. It's a calzone dinner for 4. She's single and asks me if I would like to join her for dinner. I spammed as I have steaks I was going to grill. She doesn't take know for an answer. I tell her that we can use my kitchen, my kamados, and we pack up everything and march down to my house.

The box is very well insulated, all the ingredients are well packed and present, and so we dive right in. I've never seen this service before, so I'm intrigued.

Here are the instruction sheets, front and back:

I'm impressed. These sheets are laminated and written in clear and concise language complete with pictures so that even I can't screw it up.

Here are the ingredients packed in the box. All ingredients were fresh and of really good quality.

My part of the deal was to just cook the calzones on TheBeast. We also deviated from the instructions by doing bacon wrapped asparagus on Beauty!

Here are the calzones already on TheBeast. He was rocking right along at 475. I will say that the dough was hard to work with and get in any kind of shape for calzones. So, I just winged it and it was the best I could do.

Here are the calzones right before I pulled them after 15 minutes.

And the Money Shot.

Finally, here is a shot of the calzone ready for dipping and eating.

Total time from "CC, start your Komodo Kamado" to "That's all folks!" was about 90 minutes.

So this was my very first experience with Blue Apron. It was really nice having everything sourced for you and at your fingertips. The quality of the food was quite good and I enjoyed everything about this meal. The only down side was the dough. Trying to shape the dough was quite frustrating, but as you can see, we got the job done. All In all, if I weren't wrapped around the axle with my KKs, this is a service I just might subscribe to.

Thanks for looking.

all pictures are broken to me

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      DeusDingo - I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm seeing them on my iMac, my iPad, and my iPhone. It also seems others are able to see them as well. Dadgummit!

Great post.

I've been doing Blue Apron for about 6 month. Got it for the girlfriend. She is not a shopper.

I love it I hear ya on the doughs. Other than that it's a real cool deal imo.

The GF never cooked before. Now she fights to take the lead.

I'm all about it.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      I may just investigate it for myself. They better have a BBQ heavy menu of I'm gonna buy in!

Interesting. Thanks for the story and the great pics, CeramicChef . It sure would be a convenient thing especially for someone who hates to cook or for someone who loves to cook but has no time to hunt/gather ingredients. I still marvel at how I managed to give my family nutritious meals back when I was working 80 hours a week and was the only cook in the household. Blue Apron would have been a lifesaver back then.

Kathryn

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc - I don't see how you juggle life as an academic, a mom, teacher, housewife, etc.! It was all I could do and even then I didn't do it well for too long. Kudos, kudos, kudos to you!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the comment, CeramicChef . Lots of folks work tons of hours, raise kids and run households at the same time, so I was just one of that busy herd back in the day. Now I get to play with my PBC. It's all good!

K.

CeramicChef , I have a question about Blue Apron: what do you do with the packaging? Is the shipping box and packing material sent back?

Kathryn

Comment

Does Anyone have a link or the Web Site for Blue Apron! Thanks! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Users get free meals to give out. If anyone is interested I will see what I have on account. There is no commitment and you can make menu changes and stop a delivery by a certain date ( skip a week) You can cancel at anytime.

I'm throwing in a shot of the packaging for fzxdoc. Not to steal that from CC but only because my deliver is Friday and its handy. The protein is packed between two or three reusable ice packs with the dry goods on top of that. I recycle it. You can also return it for free if no recycling service is available to you.

BTW those ice packs are still pretty solid today.

I looked at all of the major player in this before I started and BA came out on top for my needs. Plated was number two on my list:

Thinking of grocery delivery? Shop at Safeway online store and get grocery delivered to your doorstep. Use Safeway for U rewards & coupons to save money on grocery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	167618
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 14, 2016, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        I was really impressed with how well packed and packaged everything was. Just based on this one time interaction with Blue Apron, we're I to go with any of these home delivery systems, Blue Apron would be my go to.

Thanks for the pic, Jon Solberg!

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks to All Boat of You! From Fargo ND, Dan

I have a buddy that has tried this and loves it. Loves the fact that he gets portioned amounts so he doesn't have to go purchase an entire bottle or package of a spice/sauce/herb/etc.... that he will not ever use again for a year.

If it wasn't for the fact that my family and in laws garden, can, freeze... and have their own meats (chicken, beef, pork) processed and stored then I would definitely be trying this out more.

Comment

It appears I have 5 free deliverys available. If your interested please PM me a first and last name and an email address and I will punch it in for you. You will not be committed to anything.

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon Solberg - how long have you been using Blue Apron? I never knew aout the free deliveries. Thanks for clueing me into this aspect. Thanks?

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          The free deliverys are to give away. It's a marketing thing from them. I'm not sure how long I've been using it. 6 mo maybe.

Jon Solberg , thanks for the information about the packaging. Good to hear that it's recyclable, and that the ice packs are reusable. Plus it's good to hear that your girlfriend enjoys making the Blue Apron dinners so much. I wonder if they would have the same effect on my husband, whose sole culinary accomplishment is making toast, bless his heart.

Kathryn

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc - it's called learned helplessness! Unfortunately my dear Mom taught all us male type kids to cook, clean sew, do dishes, iron, etc. She said she wasn't about to inflict another helpless male on some poor unsuspecting lady! LOL!!

So now the important question.....How'd it go with the neighbor lady?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          She tried to liquor him up so......

Originally posted by Bob's BBQ View Post
        So now the important question.....How'd it go with the neighbor lady?
        She's a very nice lady of about 40. She's a psychiatrist. See's right through me in about a heartbeat if that long! She's too smart!

Given the disparity in our ages, nothing will ever develop. Now if I were 15 years younger .... and hadn't killed all those IQ points drinking great single malt ...

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
          Bob's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          If you a have few single malt beverages, you'll FEEL 15 years younger....might be worth a shot.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here