Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neapolitan and Nearly-politan Pizza on a Weber Kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neapolitan and Nearly-politan Pizza on a Weber Kettle?

One of my favorite meals to cook is pizza. I bake nearly-politan pizzas with 24-hour fermented sourdough crust, homemade sauce, the whole shebang, and I love it. I use the pizza steel and broiler trick (1/2" steel plate preheated to 550+ and placed 3-4 inches beneath a hot broiler) and get a perfectly baked pizza in 3-4 minutes. Problem is now that it's warm/hot out the kitchen gets HOT when I bake pizzas. Potential solution? Do it on the grill.

I know the main problem with grills is that there's so much heat from below that it's hard to cook the top of the pizza evenly. I've seen the kettlepizza and it seems to have a decent reception on the pizza making forum but reception here seems lukewarm. Theoretically it seems like it may help solve the problems with gas grills and that jury rigging something with top stones, to reflect heat, etc.... would cost roughly the same.

What are people around here doing with their Weber Kettles to bake 2-4 minute Neapolitan style pizzas? It at least looks like you could get the base kettlepizza kit, a slow n sear (which I plan to get anyways), and a pizza stone and some minor fabrication add some sort of heat deflector to the top of the basic kit instead of shelling out $400 for the top of the like deal. That looks intriguing.
    Last edited by tugboat; May 9, 2016, 03:49 AM.

I'd suggest getting a hovergrill and either a piece of stainless steel sheet or a second stone to sit of the hovergrill. The ss might get you some reflected heat while the second stone will supply radiated heat. I have the kettlepizza, but I don't use it any more. The last time I made pizza on the grill I made a very hot fire and just put the pizza on a preheated stone. It took about 8 minutes, but the results were very good.
    I did preheat the stone for about an hour in the oven, (which might defeat your purpose of keeping the heat out of the kitchen). If I was going to do this, I'd try the ss sheet first because using two stones would mean coming up with a way to preheat both. Preheating for an hour on the grill would be difficult because adding more fuel would be problematic.

Hovergrill:
    Amazon.com : Individual Hovergrill : Cooking Grates : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Comment

Pizzakettle is fun. It can do 650° plus with no SnS . I picked up a cheap Camp Chef Lumberjack skillet to use instead on buying the one from Pizzakettle. (the handles bolt on)

Its hard to do 2-3min pies. Its just not an even heat 5-7 maybe.

I think with your steel and a slow in SnS your going to be alright with nothing. You can put some heat out and its not exactly under it. you just need to turn more than you want to.

If you want a Pizzakettle with a pro kit. PKKP-22 I'll make you a sweet deal on a used one. : )

Heres a low and slow pie on a 26 with an SnS. I think this was runnin about 425ish. I dont get to worried about tracking temps for stuff like this. I use the dome and have a good idea on how mush its off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6360.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	165370

Comment

I don't mind turning or raising the pie off the stone to finish the top. I'm thinking that with the "toys" I'll have with the kettle (slow n sear, grate with charcoal hinge) that buying the $400 kit is redundant, but that the base ring may be a good purchase with the addition of a steel reflector of some sort on top to keep the heat low. That'll also make it easy to manage the pie during the bake and not have to worry about lifting a scorching hot lid. I really want to keep the 3-4 minute bake is the thing. If it'll take 7 minutes I'll just save the dough, suck it up, and use the kitchen oven.

I'll also likely have a hovergrill but I'm worried that underneath it will be too narrow with the legs to manage a pizza.

Comment

Sooo when are you getting a grill : ) We are looking forward to seeing a signature for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
            Sooo when are you getting a grill : ) We are looking forward to seeing a signature for you.
            Soon enough.

Of course I'm also wondering if all the charcoal this thing would consume would make it more trouble than what it's worth. I can't imagine a Kettle holding heat well, and from what I've been reading it would consume an immense amount of charcoal and hardwood. If I decide it's worth it to buy a pizza thingy a Blackstone might be more worth it.

Comment

I haven't done it yet, but I've been doing homework on kettle or BGE for pizza and ran across this article. It's not the only way, but they turned out some nice looking pies.

I think there is a serious eats version of the kettle pizza now too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post

If you want a Pizzakettle with a pro kit. PKKP-22 I'll make you a sweet deal on a used one. : )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n165370[/ATTACH]
                Jon Solberg What would you want for it?

Comment

I dont know Doc.

I'm thinking 100.00 + shipping would do it. I hate to sell stuff but I'd love to see it used. I'll get some pics this weekend. Its up north at camp. It is for sure used. The stone is stained. Heres is an older pick that shows the stains.

Dr ROK
                  Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 10, 2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                    Dr ROK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't need pics right away. Just next time you are "up north". thanx-mac!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here