Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza Que add on for kettle grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza Que add on for kettle grills

I know Meathead has not been impressed with the aftermarket pizza cooking devices available. I have been researching the KettlePizza device and noticed the biggest complaint was not getting the toppings cooked while the crust over-cooked. The dome of the kettle appears to be too high above the cooking surface.
    Enter the $79 Pizza Que found at Home Depot. The ring used to rest the dome on is much lower and even lower in the back. A wire basket is used to maintain the charcoal behind and to the sides of the cooking stone. The temperature reading on the included gauge ended up maxing out at 1000 degrees! My pizzas were evenly cooked, pepperoni even a little burnt on one (my fault, crust was way too thick!) Cooking time was 4-5 minutes, turning 90 degrees half way through.
    This performed well beyond my expectations, I now will concentrate on various doughs.

Thanks for the review! I think like you allude to the closer the pizza is to the dome the better for the toppings due to the heat collecting & reflecting from the top back to the pizza. If it's too tall there's less of that, as you mention... unless you get your pizza up there. Do you have a leave-in digital thermometer to check your actual grate temps when cooking? The dome thermometer will of course read way higher than what your actual cooking temp is.

Be sure to check out Meathead's no-knead dough recipes, Roman style and Neapolitan style, both great for the grill.

Comment

• Driverdan
      Driverdan commented
      Editing a comment
      I was reading the included temp gauge which is very near to the grate level, never did look at the dome temp!

ive always been a HUGE pizza fan, and pizza on the kettle or BGE is on my list of things I really want to try. Ive always wanted to try using this guide: http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm (Ive been to the restaurant, and was totally blown away.) Ive been working my way around to it, and doing homework for now.

After reading this review, I did a search for kettle pizza vs pizzaque, and found an interesting article.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...ade-short.html

Here they test it with a baking steel:

Has this version been reviewed?

I would guess either gadget might benefit from adding lower ceiling. Also, I thought it might be worth a try to use a slow n sear in the back as the charcoal holder.

Last edited by RichBrew; March 10, 2016, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Driverdan
      Driverdan commented
      Editing a comment
      Has that site tested the PizzaQue kit yet?

RichBrew I have tried using the Slow-n-Sear, and just cracking the lid (see pic), and it worked great as a pizza oven. Worked Great!
    Last edited by Koy Schoppe; March 11, 2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• RichBrew
      RichBrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! That looks delicious!

Koy Schoppe, thanks for posting this. I'm going to give this a try!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here